Chapter 2

When I got home, I dialed Chase's number from memory.

He picked up on the second ring. "Hey you," he answered with a smile in voice. God, I loved his voice. It was deep and masculine and the first thing that I noticed when I met him.

"Hi," I breathed. It was only when I talked to Chase, my best friend, that I could truly relax and forget about everything.

"How was your game?" He asked. I had told him earlier about our game since it was a pretty big deal; since we won it we were pretty much guaranteed a spot in the playoffs.

I told him all about the game and the way we had dramatically won at the very end. He listened enthusiastically, making good observations here and there.

We had our undying passion for soccer in common. In fact, he had taken me to a Chelsea game for my 16th birthday. (Chelsea is a British soccer team).

I flopped down onto my bed as we talked, looking at the light walls we had painted two summers ago. I remembered how we had taken an entire week to argue over colors before settling on a gorgeous shade of pale blue. My eyes drifted to the corner of my ceiling where we had left our blue hand prints.

"How's school?" I asked eventually. It would be his second and senior year in some school in Montana.

I was glad to hear that he had loads of friends, and was starting as sweeper on their soccer team.

"The parties here suck, though. I think I've been to one since school started, and it was only because Evan made me. Something about it being the party of the year.......If that was the party of the year, though, I'm definitely glad I won't be missing out on anything."

He used to be a huge partier like me, freshman and sophomore year. That all stopped, well, when we fell in love and fixed each other.

"You're okay though, right?" I clarified. "I mean, I hate to ask, but.."

"I made you a promise, baby. I haven't done anymore drugs since then," he said seriously.

"I knew you wouldn't," I said, trying to sound upbeat and happy. Knowing where that this question would lead to a follow up on me, I tried to end the conversation. "I love you, Chase. I have to-"

"April." He cut me off. "How have you been?"

"I just told you," I feigned ignorance. "Anatomy sucks without my big bad boyfriend to dissect everything for me, but-"

"You know what I mean," he chuckled. He was probably remembering Marine Biology sophomore year when I literally passed out at the sight of the dead shark we had to dissect. Turns out it was preggers, too. "How have you really been?"

He was straight up asking about my depression. "O-Okay." I sighed. "I had a really bad night a couple days ago but other than that I've been pretty good, I guess."

"I'm glad." He said softly. "I love you, you know that, right?"

"I know," I smiled.

"April..." Shit, here it was. The million dollar question I had been dreading all night. "Please tell me you've been eating."

"Of course." I responded. Self hate flooded my mind. I was racked with guilt for lying to the person I loved most in the world, but I couldn't let him know.

"Alright Cutie-Pie," he laughed, knowing how much I loathed gross couple/pet names. "Goodnight then. It's already 1:30 here," stifling a yawn.

"Sweet dreams Ace," I teased, using my girly stripper nickname for him. "Love you."

"Love you too, Bun." He grinned before hanging up.

I let out a shaky breath before dropping the phone onto my floral bedspread. This boy could always see right through me, and in a terrible way, I was slightly glad he wasn't around to check up on me. Even though I had once more become a serial liar while he was away, something told me that he wouldn't fall for my lies anymore than he did the first time.