Chapter One

It's beautiful up here, but the wind is much harsher. Strands of my thick hair smack my freezing cheeks and my lips. I honestly don't care, though. I can see all of Bayfell from up here. The different sectors that people live in—The Royal District up closer to the mountains, the Central District where the hustle and bustle of the city takes place, the Family District where everyone wants to live one day, and the Lower District where I'm stuck until tomorrow. Maybe.

"I know the rules," Riah says tentatively, "but at least give us a hint as to who you claimed!"

"Riah," I say in a begging voice. "We're not supposed to ask them about it." I glance to my left and give Alec a knowing look. I've always been a rule follower. Alec will bend them every now and then, but he understands me most when it comes to our society's laws and my intention to follow each and every one of them.

Chance laughs softly. "It's fine! Well, just... don't tell anyone."

Alec and I whip our heads around at Chance who stands on the other side of Riah. Chance is just as strict about the rules as me, so this surprises me, but not for very long.

Riah scoffs. "Who is there to tell?"

My rebellious friend has never followed the rules if she didn't like them. When we were three, she stole a doll from Penelope Snider during playtime (I still don't know why that's such a vivid memory of mine). Riah tends to speak her mind a little too often which gets her in trouble with some of the Officials. And the fact that she has dyed her hair a flaming red—with some illegal hair dye nonetheless—doesn't help either; it's just not accepted lightly in our city anymore. It's an obvious sign of rebellion. However, no one of authority wants to touch her because of her status.

Our status.

"Well... I requested someone who is very beautiful," Chance says. He folds his arms across the ledge that lines the roof.

"And...?" Riah presses.

Chance nudges her with his shoulder. "I'm very hopeful. But I'm also worried because others are probably after her, too."

"Well, I'm sure you'll get her. You know her well, don't you?" I ask.

Chance shrugs. "Well enough."

"Then what is there to worry about?"

"Yeah, Chance," Alec says, leaning back against the ledge, stretching his arms out with a huge yawn following. "As long as you know her, you've got her!"

Chance bites his lip. "I don't know... There's probably a lot I still don't know about her."

I look at Riah's face and can see her about to burst with excitement. For years she's been majorly crushing on Chance, and now she can finally find out if he has feelings for her as well. She's pretty sure he does, considering all the hints he gives (like telling her she looks pretty on that particular day, saying sweet things to her, or constantly being around her). I'm not totally convinced these are signs, considering he's done all the same to me because he's actually a very nice person, but whatever. Riah will end up being happy no matter what happens. She will make sure of that.

"What about you, Alec?" Riah says, still slightly in her daze.

Alec blinks at her, then at me, then at Chance. "Well. I requested someone. She's female. And she has hair. And nice... feet?"

I laugh, but Riah groans. "Seriously, Alec! This is important!"

Alec puts his hands up in surrender to Riah's attitude. "You'll find out tonight! Two more hours till the Claiming ceremony."

When a guy turns sixteen before March 31, they have to play their part in the Claiming. Guys go to the Plaza the day before, fill out a form, and write down three names of girls of sixteen years (or who are about to be sixteen) whom they wouldn't mind spending eternity with, the one they want most being first listed. That is the requesting part of the process.