Job Interview

Imagine that you are relaxing in front of the TV, a small fire flickering silently and contently in the corner, casting a soft glow over the small lounge room. The TV was on a low volume; characters from the latest James Bond movie running around energetically, narrowly missing death with cleverly planned moves and skills. Jack had already passed out by your side, glasses slid halfway down his nose, mouth hanging slightly ajar and eyes flickering behind their lids as the noise from the movie occasionally got louder. He had slipped down to your side, with his head now resting peacefully on your shoulder and his arms and legs tucked up to your side. 

The movie was starting to end, with loud explosions and guns blazing; a typical heroic conclusion to an action James Bond movie, and when the credits started to roll, Jack started to shift next to you. “You missed the best bit” you whispered, smiling at Jack as he sat himself up, rubbing his eyes. “I wasn’t asleep” he grumbles, but the drool mark on your shoulder proved otherwise. You stand up and offer a helping hand to Jack, which he takes graciously and stands up next to you, throwing an arm around you for support to stand up straight.

“I think its bed time for you” you say, leading Jack towards your shared bedroom. He bumps his head on the door before you get a chance to open it, stumbling in once you do and tripping onto the bed. Jack purposely held onto you so that you wouldn’t leave him. “Jack I have to go turn the TV off” you reason, trying to pry Jack’s hands off of your arm. “No” he mumbles, facedown into the sheets. Soon enough you slide Jack’s hand off you and wander out to the lounge room, flicking the TV off and putting out the dying fire. 

You walk back to the bedroom, closing the door behind you, when you feel a pair of arms wrap tightly around your waist. You smile to yourself knowing that it was Jack, when you felt him dip his head to your shoulder and pepper it with kisses; his prickly stubble scratching your skin. You squirm as he tickles you lightly, spinning out of his arms and walking over to the bed. He followed loyally after, taking his spot next to you. Your lie down and turn to face him sitting on the end of the bed.

“What are you doing?” you ask, he doesn’t say much in reply, just a simple smile, climbing up towards you and kicking the sheets over himself. He pulls you into his chest, wrapping his arms protectively around you as you snuggle closer and let out a tired sigh, closing your eyes. He did the same, sighing and slightly blowing your hair back. You both fell asleep contently with hazy dreams on the horizon.

You sat straight up in bed, the fear struck through you as your alarm clock rang a shrill echo through the room. Jack groaned and rolled his face further into the pillow, trying to drown out the evil mocking sound. You slide your legs up and rested your head on your knees, wrapping your arms around you legs. 

“Y/N!” Jack groaned out in annoyance, pleading for you to turn off the alarm clock. You slam your arm on the table beside your bed, and roll over onto your side against Jack, hiding your face again. 

You groan as you come to the realization that your big job interview in about an hour and a half, quickly spinning over to get out of bed. Jack suddenly leaps behind you, throwing his arms around your waist and tackling you both to the ground. “I don’t want you to goooooo!” he yelled like a little kid. You try and squirm out of his grip, but he tightens his arms, pushing the air out of your lungs. 

“Jack, I mean it. I need to get ready for this” “I don’t want you to get a job. Stay home with me instead” he reasoned.  “Jack I cant, I have to have something to do when you’re not home” you say, as he looks up at you sympathetically. 

You slide out of his arms as he stares at you, jutting out his bottom lip and giving you his best ‘puppy dog eyes’. You walk over and place a quick peck on his lips, then turn around and walk to the bathroom. 

You set out the makeup you need and start applying the foundation, unaware that Jack was sneaking up behind you again. He leaps up and pounces on your back, making you stumble forward and spill your makeup. “JACK WHAT THE FU-“ “STAY HOME WITH ME” he cries out again, tucking up his legs and wrapping them around your waist, hiding his face in the crook of your neck. You shuffle him off, then start to clean up the mess on the bathroom sink. You wipe up the foundation that had spilled messily on the sink, throwing the tissues into the bin, and finishing up putting our makeup on. 

You flick the hair straightener on, waiting for it to signal the small beep, spraying some of your heat protecting in your hair. Once you start pulling the straightener through your hair, you notice Jack sitting behind you, head resting on the doorframe and staring up at you. “Jack, what’s wrong now?” You ask him, turning back to face the mirror. “You’re leaving me” he grumbles. “I’m not leaving you, Jack” you try and reason, but he was too stubborn. “Then why are you taking this? This Interview?” He asks, starting to sound half serious. You watch as he stands from the floor, walking up next to you and leaning his back against the basin. You place the hair straightener down, turning it off at the powerpoint and pack it away, letting out an exaggerated sigh. 

“I have nothing to do when you’re not here” you mumble under your breath, keeping your back to him. You hear him about to say something, but you felt guilty enough, so you quickly walked out of the bathroom. As you walked into your bedroom, in search for your tidy clothes, you couldn’t hear from Jack. Soon after a few minutes, it had slipped your mind and you were once again focused and worried about your interview. 

There was a bang from behind you, the sound that something had been knocked and fallen to the ground, smashing. You spin around and jump a little at the sudden unnatural sound, to see that as Jack had reached to get his glasses he had knocked a stray glass placed next to them. “Really?” you ask him, looking down at the shattered pieces of glass. “Sorry” he mumbles. “You have to clean that up. I just don’t have time, I’m meant to be leaving now” you say, turning and rushing to find your sweater. 

There was a split second that when you turned around you could see straight, but was almost immediately knocked onto the bed, Jack shoulder tackling you backwards. “No job for you!” he yells as he moves to straddle your waist, pinning you down on the bed. “You don’t need a job. Come with me” he ushers, holding your hands in each of his and sliding his fingers in-between yours. He wiggles and plays with your hands above you, smiling to himself; a child-like grin. He squeezes your waist from between his legs, tickling you slightly. 

“Fine” you grumble, trying to pretend that you weren’t happy. Jack almost squeals to himself, wrapping his arms around you and giving you a bear hug as he pulls the sheets above you two again, you trapped in his arms. The day had definitely taken a turn for the better.