Chapter 5- The steps to victory

Recap:

 Colin

I watched as she walked away holding her books. I was surprised that she had said no to the chance at popularity I had just offered her. She does not know what she has said no to, but I guess she’s just scared. She will come around soon, don’t they always? Either way, I will not take no for an answer.

Colin

By lunch time, I had watched her enough between classes to know that she didn’t have any friends.  I couldn’t help but wonder why. She was so pretty; it was probably the clothes.  You can tell that she’s skinny but can’t see clearly underneath all those layers, which I would be more than happy to pull off if she asked. 

Of course she never came up to me again. No sly smile or a quiet yes, not even just coming near me in general. I could easily tell she was trying to avoid me.

“Hey man, come sit with us” said one of the football players I had met today, name Matt. He was serious and spoke just when he needed to. 

“Sure” I knew it wasn’t a question, but it’s not like I had anything else to say. 

As we walked towards the cafeteria line, Alexa, I had learnt her name was, was walking out alone towards the doors in the side of the cafeteria. I think Matt saw me staring cause he said

“The girls are all talking about you going up to her this morning” again, not a question. 

“Yeah, I thought I should invite her to the club on Friday.” I said, shrugging casually.  He nodded slowly, but looked curious and unconvinced.

The thing he didn’t know though was that I wanted her to come. I wanted to get to know her and ask her why she didn’t have friends. Normally, I wouldn’t ask it out of the blue, but if I knew 2 things about her, they were that 1. She hated when people didn’t get to the point, by experience and 2. Which has nothing to do with her, but the question had to be asked.

  I picked a burger and some root beer and went to pay. Matt right behind me with some pasta and what looked like a smoothie.

  I was headed for the doors where Alexa left, when I heard Matt say something,

“What?” I asked, looking back at him.

“This way,” he pointed his head towards some tables being occupied,” those doors lead out, towards the field and some benches”

“Isn’t it better to eat outside thought?” I asked, even though I hated eating outside. There’s wind and bugs and its just plain annoying, but I wanted to see the field and benches and where Alexa was.

“No one really goes outside,” he said, turning to walk the way he had pointed, expecting me to follow.

No one really goes outside. I had a pretty good idea about who was outside, but didn’t say anything. I just followed, thinking that those doors led outside, field and benches included.

The guys had put two lunch tables together so there were about 24 people in total at our table. All guys, though the girls were right behind our table and every time I turned around one of them had to be looking at me. When I first started high school, I thought this was creepy as shit, but now I’m kind of used to it.

 I got to meet some of the football team and the guys at the park were there too, even the one that looked 15, they all called him S.P for sweet pie, how he got the name, I didn’t know, and I wasn’t too sure I wanted to find out.

After the bell rang, I stuck with Matt and Simon since we all had Phys. Ed. after lunch. I really didn’t know what they all had meant by good luck. Was it really that hard?