Chapter 2

"Pray, what took you all so long? Georgiana and I have been waiting for you all impatiently." Elizabeth said upon meeting the party which was accompanied by her husband.

Mr Bingley and Mrs Bingley smiled at Elizabeth as they tried to search for words to say.

However, Mr Darcy answered for them. "Mrs Darcy, some business had caught me and Mr Bingley back. But just to assure you, these two will be having the dinner with us tonight."

Elizabeth could feel her cheeks becoming warm as her eyes shone brightly. Even though she and Mr Darcy had been married for three long years, they still pretended like a newly wedded couple, which perplexed Georgiana Darcy but at the same time, it made her feel happy because Elizabeth and Mr Darcy were truly made for each other.

Elizabeth walked towards Mr Darcy and locked her arm in his, just the way Mr and Mrs Bingley had done but poor Georgiana was alone. However, it did not affect her mood. She was as joyful as ever.

They made their way to the parlour upstairs which Elizabeth had decided to renovate last month, for she had been feeling homesick for quite some time. The wallpaper in the parlour looked somewhat like the one in the Longbourn parlour and the furniture, though more elegant, did resemble the one in Longbourn.

There was a huge painting against the wall above the fireplace in which five people were painted. These were Mr and Mrs Darcy, Mr and Mrs Bingley and Georgiana Darcy. The painting was overwhelmingly pleasant and it had been made over a period of seven months, upon Mr Darcy's command.

Georgiana Darcy folded her arms across her chest as she stared at the painting with a cheerful grin. "This painting never fails to make me smile."

"We share mutual opinions, my dear Georgiana." Jane Bingley stood next to her and observed the painting.

"However, it is incomplete." Elizabeth joined the two ladies.

Mr Darcy looked at her in confusion as he knew that Elizabeth had been the one who had expressed her desire upon seeing such a painting. "I beg your pardon but may I know what is missing from it?"

Elizabeth turned around to face him. She moved closer to him and held his hand in hers. "I hope you would not mind another Darcy joining this family."

When they heard this, everyone present in the room gazed at Mrs Darcy in astonishment. However, Mr Darcy's astonishment was the greatest. His eyes were wide open and he did not utter a single sound for a minute.

But he knew he had to say something because Elizabeth never liked silence. "Do you mean to say that we are awaiting an infant's arrival in our family?" He spoke as he tried to regain his composure.

"Yes. I apologise for not telling you about this earlier." Elizabeth kept her other hand on her stomach and Mr Darcy watched her do this in complete silence.

Though his expression was serious because of the shock, he was all happiness from the inside and his heart had never been more happier than this.