Chapter 17

Peeta gets up and changes out of his hospital gown and into some regular clothes. Once he’s done he helps me up and we walk to my room with our arms around each other. When we get to my room Peeta shuts the door and locks it, then scoops me up and kisses me. I smile. He hasn’t done that to me in forever, and I’m glad it’s back.

“I love you,” I say.

“I love you to Katniss,” he says. He lays me down on the bed then snuggles up next to me and closes his eyes. I start to stroke his hair.

“Peeta, do you really think that Paylor is the one hijacking you?” I ask. He is silent for a few seconds then pulls away and looks at me with tears in his eyes. I haven’t seen him cry in what seems like forever. The last time he cried because he was sad was before our wedding.

“Katniss, I’m pretty positive that she is the one doing this to me. I’m not 100% positive but everything I told you and Haymitch in the other room was all true, but I don’t want to play the blame game. And the truth is I don’t want you to leave my side because you protect me and every time you’re gone I’m hijacked. I’m afraid to be without you Katniss because you’re my guardian and odds are the next time you leave my side I will probably have a gun to my head. Paylor wants to kill me and I don’t know why. Katniss you can’t leave. You can’t go to the interviews and you can’t do this job.” His face is filled with tears and he starts to cry into my shoulder. This time I am here for him like he is always there for me. He is terrified. He is crying really hard. I’ve never seen him like this, ever. I start to rub his back. He can’t calm down. I can’t leave him but I have to or else who knows what Paylor will do to him. I wipe his tears away.

“You know if I had the choice I would stay here with you and protect you but I can’t because I can’t risk having Paylor hurting you even more than you have been. I love you and I know that you are already mentally hurt but I can’t risk having you get physically hurt. This is out of my control, but for now why don’t we just keep this to ourselves or else who knows who will be in danger.”

“Katniss, I’m afraid. Don’t leave me, please. We’ll break out of here tonight and go back to living our lives in Twelve,” He says trying to catch his breath. I wrap my arms around him and hold him. I stroke his hair and rub his back until he finally starts to calm down.

“Peeta, why are you so afraid now when you just were fine with this not that long ago?”

“Cameras are everywhere in that room, but only Haymitch can see it. Not even Paylor is allowed to touch it but it could get in the wrong hands. And come to think of it, if Haymitch doesn’t get rid of that conversation that we had we could get in serious trouble for blaming the President of something.”

“Well we will just keep that at the back of our mind right now. Listen Peeta we took our vows and we vowed to stay with each other even through hard times. We will make it through this, we will just have to take baby steps. Haymitch, or Johanna, or Annie, or even Beetee will stay here with you while I’m gone, alright.” He nods his head with tears still running down his face. “In fact I will call them right now.” He nods his head.

“Thank you, I love you.”

“I love you to Peeta, and there is no need to thank me I’m just doing what is right to protect someone I love. And if this gets to out of hand I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe and sound because you are my life.” He kisses me.

“I don’t know how many times I can thank you.” I give him a hug and I hold him close. His grip is tight around me and I don’t think he’s going to let go anytime soon. But when he does I get up and go to the phone in my room. He starts to cry again but he hides his face in a pillow. He is so miserable. I call Johanna, Annie, and Beetee and they all agree to spend time with Peeta when they are not getting sponsors. Peeta is so grateful that he has some close friends.