One Bloody Mistake

Blood dripped off every inch of the four walled cellar. The lights flickered for a while until they finally gave up. Chills ran down my spine when I finally clicked the torch on. There is crimson red blood was the words You made one bloody mistake and now you will pay. I was so confused. What had I done? This was one of my past sins right? 

My attention was drawn to the next wall. It read in the same writing Watch your back you'll never learn to tell the tale. What the hell did that mean? My arms felt like they were on fire. I shown the light onto them to see blood ooze out of scars I got when I was nine. My hands were covered in the liquid. "Did you miss me?" a voice came from behind. I turned my back to see but nothing was there just more words Remember what happened? 25th December 1976? Remember what you did? 

I closed my eyes thinking back to what happened almost a decade ago. I prayed it was all a dream.My concentration lost as a sharp pain pierced into my stomach. I searched franticly for the door until I touched something. What was it? It was soft like a baby's skin but oddly rough like a rock. "Mummy? Why did you lie to me? Why did you say I love you and then lock me in the cellar?" a small innocent yet deadly voice came. 

What is it talking about? If I locked someone in this cellar I would of remembered right? Right?? Who was this person? And why was he out to get me? I squinted my eyes as the light came on again.

"Mommmmmy? Do you not remember? How everyone including you got drunk? How you laughed and  pushed me into the cellar so I wouldn't trouble your intoxicated friends. And then you locked me in this cold depressing room! And forgot about me! You didn't remember you had a son! You were so drunk you only remembered me after New Years Eve. When you came in to get a blasted bottle of liquor, then you found me. You found my rotting flesh on the ground," the voice yelled as a small boy came forward. His face shadowed by the useless light bulb that hung from the ceiling.

"Ray? Is that you? Its..its..been so long," I stummered as I began to dwell upon the memories of my suposedly dead son and that dreaded night. I was as drunk, I was stupid. Thought of no one and of nothing. It wasn't because I forgot him in the cellar, it was because my mind was else where. Because right after New Year's we were to move to Liverpool from this run down house in Stafford. 

Then I found him dead, surrounded by bottles and glass. His corpse, oh how hard it was to see but I knew I would sent to jail if the police found out I locked him in there in the first place. So everyday I went to the cellar and dug deeper and deeper. Everyday I built a little part of the wall, so that even if someone digs they'd never find him. It was only Ray and I living in the house. His father died years ago, when Ray was  still four. So I had no worries. I did feel sad and like a monster but as time passed I forgot. Moving to Liverpool made it easier. 

For some reason, I decided to buy the house back and move in. A huge mistake, to go back down in that cellar. It was all very vague to me, I remembered building a wall but nothing else...not until now. After my car  accident in 79' I could only dig into the past and remember certain things. Building the wall happened to be one of them. And then someone closed the door and thats when the lights started to flicker. 

"Your starting to remember mummy? How I died at the age of nine? How you buried me so you wouldn't get sent to jail? You were, are so ruthless. How in heavens name could you do that? And not even feel pain?" asked the little boy. "Mummy? You know you are going to suffer...like how I suffered...I hope you've said your prayers because mummy you are going to the devil's house," said Ray as a evil grin flashed on his pale face.

 He walked over to me and pushed me to the ground, I struggled to get back on my feet again. They felt as if they were paralyzed. "Ra, Ray? I'm s...sorry," I stummered as he knelt down next to me. In his hand, a needle twinkled. An  injection, one filled with something invisible contected to a shape pointy needle. Then he twiched a little.

"Bye-bye mummy," was the last words he said to me as he raised his hand. I watched in horror as the needle came down as fast as lightning, stabbing into my heart. I could feel the blood gushing from my body. The pain was piercing and unbearable. I wished to call out for help but it was useless. I was dying...I was dead.

Ray and I, rest there till today in our undown house in Stafford. No one remembers us, much like how I moved on without Ray. No one cares about where I am or If I'm okay. That I'm laying down, dead and useless, that my body has rotted, that I killed my son and that his ghost killed me.

No one knows...No one will ever know...