Servia, Youngest Member of the European Family or, A Residence in Belgrade and Travels in the Highla

SERVIA ***

Produced by Digital & Multimedia Center, Michigan State University Libraries., Marilynda Fraser-Cunliffe, Sankar Viswanathan, and Distributed Proofreaders Europe at http://dp.rastko.net

SERVIA,

YOUNGEST MEMBER OF THE EUROPEAN FAMILY:

OR, A

RESIDENCE IN BELGRADE,

AND

TRAVELS IN THE HIGHLANDS AND WOODLANDS OF THE INTERIOR,

DURING THE YEARS 1843 AND 1844.

BY

ANDREW ARCHIBALD PATON, ESQ.

AUTHOR OF "THE MODERN SYRIANS."

"Les hommes croient en general connaitre suffisamment l'Empire Ottoman pour peu qu'ils aient lu l'enorme compilation que le savant M. de Hammer a publiee ... mais en dehors de ce mouvement central il y a la vie interieure de province, dont le tableau tout entier reste a faire."

LONDON: LONGMAN, BROWN, GREEN, AND LONGMANS, PATERNOSTER ROW.

1845.

PREFACE.

The narrative and descriptive portion of this work speaks for itself. In the historical part I have consulted with advantage Von Engel's "History of Servia," Ranke's "Servian Revolution," Possart's "Servia," and Ami Boue's "Turquie d'Europe," but took the precaution of submitting the facts selected to the censorship of those on the spot best able to test their accuracy. For this service, I owe a debt of acknowledgment to M. Hadschitch, the framer of the Servian code; M. Marinovitch, Secretary of the Senate; and Professor John Shafarik, whose lectures on Slaavic history, literature, and antiquities, have obtained unanimous applause.

CONTENTS.

CHAPTER 1.

Leave Beyrout.--Camp afloat.-Rhodes.--The shores of the Mediterranean suitable for the cultivation of the arts.--A Moslem of the new school.--American Presbyterian clergyman.--A Mexican senator.--A sermon for sailors.--Smyrna.--Buyukdere.--Sir Stratford Canning.--Embark for Bulgaria.

CHAPTER II.

Varna.--Contrast of Northern and Southern provinces of Turkey.--Roustchouk.--Conversation with Deftendar.--The Danube.--A Bulgarian interior.--A dandy of the Lower Danube.--Depart for Widdin.

CHAPTER III.

River steaming.--Arrival at Widdin.--Jew.--Comfortless khan.--Wretched appearance of Widdin.--Hussein Pasha.--M. Petronievitch.--Steam balloon.

CHAPTER IV.

Leave Widdin.--The Timok.--Enter Servia.--Brza Palanka.--The Iron Gates.--Old and New Orsova.--Wallachian Matron.--Semlin.--A conversation on language.

CHAPTER V.

Description of Belgrade.--Fortifications.--Street and street population.--Cathedral.--Large square.--Coffee-house.--Deserted villa.--Baths.

CHAPTER VI.

Europeanization of Belgrade.--Lighting and paving.--Interior of the fortress.--Turkish Pasha.--Turkish quarter.--Turkish population.--Panorama of Belgrade.--Dinner party given by the prince.

CHAPTER VII.

Return to Servia.--The Danube.--Semlin.--Wucics and Petronievitch.--Cathedral solemnity.--Subscription ball.

CHAPTER VIII.

Holman, the blind traveller.--Milutinovich, the poet.--Bulgarian legend.--Tableau de genre.--Departure for the interior.