Chapter 45: Resiliency

Within Wall Rose, New Survey Corps Headquarters

"Levi, pass me the water."

One irritated look later, and the pitcher of water skids across the table and into Commander Erwin's hands. After it is carefully poured into his glass, he brings the rim to his lips and tilts it back. He then sets the glass down and wipes his mouth clean with the back of his hand.

Levi also takes a long sip from his tasteless black tea. "This is a pretty grand mess hall, Erwin," he comments after bringing the mug back down to its respective place on the table. He then glances at the rest of the dark room, "What kind of money did you have on you when you built this thing?"

"The dimensions are actually smaller than the mess hall in our current building," Erwin responds as he rests both arms on the table. "The lighting must be making the room appear more spacious than it actually is."

Levi curls his finger around the handle of his cup. He solemnly lowers his gaze and brings his arm to the back of his chair.

"That old geezer must be constipated," He drinks from his tea before continuing, "Making us talk about the stupid lighting while we wait."

"I see you're still as impatient as ever."

Levi gently raises an eyebrow as he looks at the commander for a brief second, but eventually lowers his head after he had gotten a short glimpse of him. "Whatever," he mutters under his breath before drinking from his mug once more.

A growing emptiness engulfs the space around these two men, as they feel the absence of the other officials who have accompanied them on this trip. The two days spent in this newly constructed castle were tiresome to the others as they had spent many hours discussing potential uses for the many rooms of the building and where the usual day-to-day protocols would take place in the new setting. However, these busy days could not possibly exhaust these two vessels of eternal energy.

Erwin drinks from his glass once more. Levi does the same, but more lethargically.

Silence rings again until, finally, the long awaited steps of their guest approaches.

A chair is pulled back, its seat creaks under his weight, and the great blow of a sigh follows.

"My apologies for making you two wait long," the man grunts tiredly.

Levi attempts to further accuse the man for the long wait, but Erwin inserts his voice just in time, "Good evening, Commander Zackly."

The water is messily poured into another spare glass. The old man consumes its whole amount in a few loud gulps.

Levi silently scowls at the man's failure to clean the water trickling down his scruffy beard.

"I must say, Erwin. You did fairly well in constructing this building even with such a limited budget," Darius mentions as he leans back into his chair and places both forearms on the corresponding arms of his seat.

"Your praise is much appreciated, Commander," Erwin admits.

"Make sure you send an account of the transactions and inventory of the building materials to my secretary."

"I will be sure to do that."

Levi's eyes bounce from one man to the next as the two discuss the tentative date of relocation to the new building and subsequently transition the conversation to the upcoming expedition. Erwin is enthusiastic as usual. Darius starts to wear down from the long discussion. Levi adds his opinions here and there.

A casual talk among these leaders persists within a period of time and gradually comes to an end when Erwin thanks Darius, "I am grateful that you were able to visit this building," he fixes the collar of his shirt and adds, "I should also relay my thanks for providing additional aid to the project."