Chapter 27

Oh my gosh.

Oh MY GOSH

Seriously guys, since when did I get 9.15k views? You guys are soooo amazing! I just wrote something cause I felt like making a completely different Daryl Dixon X Reader and its got insanely popular even though I'm a complete lazy whale.

I love you all so freaking much.

"What the heck are those?" I whispered, leaning forward on the branch and feeling Daryl grip my shoulder so as to prevent me falling and injuring myself.

"I dunno." He muttered, looking confused and concerned.

I shielded my eyes from the bright orange orb and strained to hear whatever was coming over the rim of the hill. It poured down in black chunks like scattered Legos. "Oh my gosh they're trucks!" I gasped.

Daryl furrowed his brows. "That's means there's people..."

"Dude, they're comin' fast." I muttered, watching the sun shine brightly off the sides. "They look like semis, not flat beds. They could be carrying anything. Food, people, weapons... walkers. Dude, anything." I looked up at Daryl. "Dude, what should we do? They could be totally psycho or--"

"They could still be human and have important resources." Daryl finished for me.

"Exactly." I nodded. "Whadda we do? Do we run or greet them or what?"

"You're the one with the brains, I'm just a stupid redneck." He muttered, getting ready to climb down.

"Hey! That's not--" The rumble of the trucks drifted down on the cold breeze. "We'll continue this conversation later, c'mon. We need to get the council." I jumped down and began to descend the tree.

If you've ever climbed a tree, you know that it's much harder climbing back down then it originally was in the first place. As I scrambled down I slipped on a patch of ice. "Ah!" I yelped as I began to fall toward the hard ground when suddenly strong arms wrapped around my torso.

"(y/n)!" Daryl cried, pulling me close to his chest. I gasped for breath, staring at the ground and feeling the blood roaring in my ears. Butterflies tried to escape my stomach as well as my lunch from the day before. "You okay?" He whispered softly.

"I-I-I'm f-fine." I stammered. He gave me a quick hug and helped me down the rest of the way, since we were both scared I was going to fall again.

As soon as we hit the ground we were running. Michone was still guarding, and Dale and Rick were stirring. "Rick! Dale! Carol! C'mon, get up!"

Carol slowly stirred and finally got up. Dale was wide awake immediately as well as Rick. Michone came over. "What is it?"

"There are semis comin'. I don't know or what they're holdin', if anything, but they're coming fast. We have, maybe, fifteen minutes if we're lucky."

"We ain't lucky." Andrea muttered from a tree a little ways from us.

"What do we do Rick?" I asked.

Rick looked thoughtfully, scratching the stubble growing on his face. "...How many trucks were there?" He asked.

"Three." I said. "From what we actually saw."

Dale ran a hand through his hair, looking torn. "Look," Carol started, "how about this? We can leave two people to stay with the kids, keeping them safe. Two of us will go out as... ambassadors of sorts. The rest of us will hide in the trees just in case they prove to be trouble."

It sounded like a sound plan. "Wait... We could use either Carol or Judith as a... As an example. Like, we could show them we aren't a bunch of scruffy survivors lying through our dirty teeth."

Dale shook his head. "That's too dangerous, (y/n). No, I'm not dissing you. I just mean we shouldn't take the chance."

I nodded. Rick nodded toward Dale. "I like the idea. Michone and Daryl?"

"I think (y/n) should help greet them." Michone said. I looked at her, shocked. "I mean, she doesn't look as scruffy as the rest of us, and she's younger. And she's got a good tongue."

I couldn't keep down the smile. I was accepted.

"Who watches the kids?" Daryl asked.

"Who goes with (y/n)?" Andrea asked.

"I think one of us leaders... Daryl should be a guard, as well me." Daryl nodded as Michone spoke.

"I think Dale should stay with the kids. I don't think Andrea would put up with them well..." Carol spoke and Andrea couldn't even look offended.

She nodded. "I'll be guard."

Dale reluctantly agreed. "I wanted to help (y/n), but okay. Judith is cute, anyways."

"Rick," Carol turned to him. "You're with (y/n), if you're okay with that. It'll be good to have the leader there. Besides, she can do all the talking for you."

Rick took a deep breath, took off his hat, wiped his forehead, replaced his hat, and nodded. "Alright. Everyone, get ready."

The rumble of trucks filled the air and Rick and I got into position. We waited as two large semis pulled up to the edge of the woods, trailing two more behind it. I swallowed thickly as two men hopped out of the towering semis.

It was time.