Death's Deal

Meeting Adien- part 1

Chapter 1

Adien had always thrived on the fact that in societies’ eyes he was considered weird. To him, being weird was his identity, the way he defined himself. Though we two have different opinions of weird. While Adien thinks himself weird, I believe Adien is truly a psychopath- a complete monster, but this opinion didn’t formulate until I grasped total understanding of his being. It’s strange to think I, a creature so far completely misunderstood, a creature of such grotesque figure could find someone far worse than I.

To me, weird is placing salt on watermelon, or wearing shoes from the sixties, or possibly even using chap stick as lotion. Weird was collecting rats and letting them roam freely through your home or talking to people that only you and I can see, people that really weren’t there if you didn’t look close enough. To Adien, weird was chopping off the heads of frogs and seeing how long their bodies twitched until they finally seized movement, or telling children their parents died to see them cry….. or worse- offering to walk an old woman across the street then leaving her abondened to fend for herself.

Like I said, a monster.

Oh the irony.. You should hear me laughing right now.

No, wait. You shouldn’t because that means you’re dead.

Regardless, I’m going to relay his story to you, and hope entirely you agree with me.

Adien walked down the halls of Parkway High school with a smile on his thin lips, his shaggy auburn hair pulled into a low ponytail and his chucks pounding heavily into the tiles. It was hard for someone as tall and lanky as him to go unnoticed and to draw the right type of attention. Speaking for myself, it was the long, brownish red hair and the daunting green eyes that drew my eyes to him, but on the account of others, it was the nerdy swagger he seemed to posses as he walked among them. Adien had a way of making himself seem smarter than everyone around him, a way of making everyone feel inferior like scum under his green chuck taylors.

I roamed freely among these halls, an invisibly reminder of frequent accidents, painful mistakes and even the drunken mishap. I often did my business here, considering there seems to be so much recklessness among this young generation. But no matter what duties called to me, I always found a way to keep an eye on Adien. And yeah, I know this sounds weird, I mean…Why would death be watching Adien?

Simple answer- I didn’t trust him.

The particular morning I’m describing to you is somewhat irrelevant. Adien went to his locker where he stood, his back facing the crowd, contemplating on whether or not he would bother to make an appearance in class. Now, while he was quite the nerd, it wasn’t simple smarts alone that had him in the top percentile of his class. No, it would have been far too hard for Adien to achieve a spot if his mother was not the principle of said high school, and though she never directly made threats when it came to her son, people knew better to mess with the momma bear. Adien whizzed through class with flying colors, and because of this fact he often stood as he was now- facing his locker and debating actually attending.

The deciding answer was no, he in fact would not.

With a smile and a shake of his curly mane he shut the metal box and finally turned to face his peers. He peered at them with calculating emerald orbs, wondering how he should spend his “free period”. The constant chatter rang unnoticed in his ears as he thought. It was a special ability of his, the ignoring I mean. Adien could ignore anything and anyone, no matter how annoying it could be. Tuning people out was one of the best things he could do and for the most part, it was the only thing. Adien looked around the hall and when his eyes landed on a certain raven haired caramel goddess, he knew exactly how he was going to spend his period. With a tiny smile and a shaky laugh he pushed off of the lockers and proceeded to follow her to the library.