BATMAN BEYOND: IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS PART ONE

-BLACK SCREEN-

A dark, unsettling set of strings comes into place, etching a sense of dread and intensity into our minds.

BRUCE (V.O)

Terry, you need to--

He is cut off almost immediately.

TERRY (V.O)

I know what I need to do, Bruce! Did you not see what that--maniac DID?!

BRUCE (V.O)

I understand. Believe me, I do. But what you're planning to do.. has harsh consequences.

TERRY (V.O)

Fine! If you don't wanna help me, Bruce, then I guess I'll do this on my own!

INT. THE CAVE- NIGHT

Terry runs out of the cave and up the steps, not looking back.

Bruce glances down at his dog, Ace, who then returns a concerned, puzzled look to his master.

The red bat symbol that's been in the back since the beginning is now coming slowly out of the blackness and much closer to the screen.

BRUCE (V.O)

What have I done, boy?

The screen zooms out to reveal the entire red bat emblem, and the words: BATMAN BEYOND: IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS appear in bolded white text across and below it.

The Batman Beyond theme music takes over and the opening credits start to roll over a view of Neo Gotham.

EXT. NEO-GOTHAM- NIGHT

Terry rushes down the streets, darting through alleys, and breathing steadily. He whips out his cellphone, selecting the contact, MATT MCGINNIS, his younger 14 year old brother. The phone rings and Matt picks up.

MATT MCGINNIS

Hello?

TERRY

Matt! Good to hear you, twip!

MATT MCGINNIS

What do you want, Terry?

Terry darts around a corner continuing the conversation.

TERRY

Listen, Matt, is Mom home?

MATT MCGINNIS

No.

TERRY

Well... when she does get back... tell her I'll be running a little late.

Suddenly, Terry grunts as he's violently pushed by an unseen attacker.

INT. MCGINNIS HOUSE

Matt holds his phone, ready to hang up.

MATT MCGINNIS

*scoffs* Well that's nothing new.

He presses the red END CALL button and goes back to watching tv.

EXT. ALLEYWAY- NIGHT

Terry looks up to see four figures surround him. A small group of Jokerz. Their leader, dressed in a purple suit and his face in a similar appearance to the original Joker's.

It's J-Man.

J-MAN

What's up, dreg?

Terry shoots up, lifting his fist to J-Man's face.

TERRY

Not much!

He is soon grabbed from behind by two other members of J-Man's crew. J-Man wags his finger in Terry's face mockingly.

J-MAN

Ah. Ah. Ah. We need to get you to the guy who wants you.. alive.

Terry struggles and grunts, trying to understand what it is he's being told.

J-MAN

Ya see, he knows who you are. In fact, he'd figured it out himself.

Terry's eyes widen.

J-Man grins wildly as he slides on some brass knuckles.

J-MAN

Let's have some fun.

Shadows dance on a nearby alley wall as J-Man delivers blow after blow to

Terry's chest and stomach. The crunching of bones and impact of the blows is heard, and Terry collapses, unconscious.

J-Man snaps his fingers and motions for a girl Joker to grab his feet and drag him. She does. He glances down at the stray cell phone on the ground, and bends down to pick it up.

J- MAN

Well... whaddya know?

He chuckles insanely, then walks off, shoving it into his pockets.

To Be Continued.