Chapter 2 - A New Start

Chapter 2: A new start.

In a matter of seconds I was standing in a field of perfectly cut grass, and looming ahead of me was what looked like a large castle. The building was huge, and looked like something you would find in a children’s fairy tale book. There was a long pathway to the entrance that was covered in gorgeous blooming flowers. I soon realized I was not alone. I noticed many kids chatting and walking to entrance of the school. Some were hugging each other and cheerfully talking and others were walking alone with solemn expressions on their faces. I started looking more closely at the kids around and accidently caught some of their gazes. As soon as we would make eye contact, they would look down quickly, and whisper to their friends. I was feeling quite awkward standing all-alone in the middle of this beautiful field.

“Hey!” I heard someone say interrupting my thoughts. I saw a student and his friend walk over to me. “Your Shay, right?”

“How do you know my name?” I responded.

“Everyone does.” He said too casually. The student next to him spoke next.

“I’m Jeremiah, but people call me J.J, and this freak next to me is Eric.” He said smiling. J.J. had messy black hair and dark brown eyes. He had a face that looked like it had been through a lot and he had a tall figure. The kid next to him, apparently called Eric was a bit shorter than J.J. with wavy dirty blond hair. He seemed very carefree.

“I wouldn’t be talking J.J.! Remember the time when you –

“Shut up Eric!” J.J. replied his face flushed. “Anyways I would, we would, like to welcome you to The School of the Powerful! He did a funny little dance with a goofy grin on his face. I smiled, I was only here for a few minutes and I was already making friends.

“Oh and by the way, we should move because right now we are standing on the Senior Lawn! Eric shouted as a few seniors gave the three of us dirty looks. We walked off laughing and started heading toward the school entrance.

“Wait, why does everyone know my name?” I asked.

“Well you’re the new kid! The kid that came here a year late! You are like a celebrity!” Eric responded.

“Nobody knows why you were sent the letter a year late. Do you? J.J. Questioned.

“I was about to ask you the same thing” I sighed. “So, um, what’s your power” It seemed like a reasonable question.

“I thought you would never ask!”  J.J. opened his hand water started bubbling in it. The water slowly levitated off his hand a morphed into a flower. Then the flower turned into a rainbow butterfly that gracefully flew away.

My jaw dropped. I was awestruck.  I had never seen anything like that before. J.J. must have noticed my surprised face because he started laughing.

“Looks like some ones impressed!” J.J. singsonged while skipping around me as I blushed madly.

“Wait, wait! Look what I can do!” Eric said loudly and pushed J.J out of the way. I saw J.J. give him a menacing scowl. I chuckled at my two new friends, happy to be out of the spotlight. Eric quickly thrust out his hands and fire leaped out of it.

“Eek!” I screamed the fire nearly missing me.

“Eric!” J.J. shouted. “You have to be more carful! Mr. L told you that you have to focus more when practicing your power or else you can’t control it!” He returned his voice to a normal tone. “Sorry Shay, he didn’t mean to.”

“Yeah, Yeah! I really didn’t!” Eric almost shouted which caused J.J. to throw him another dirty look.

“It’s O.K. I might as well have to get used to this kind of thing.” I responded smiling. The three of us continued to the main entrance of the school. We finally made it to the large double doors that looked like they were motioning us to come in. As I looked closer, I realized the doors actually were. The large oak doors were normal except for one thing – there were two statues carved onto the doors that were actually talking and welcoming us to the school. As I walked in one of the statues regarded me.