Chapter One

What I thought to be just another Friday would soon turn into one of the worst days of my life. I had just dropped off Tory, my best friend, at her house. We had spent several long, boring hours at the library finishing our homework so we could go to a concert on Saturday night. Tory and I had been at the library longer than I thought we had. The sun was already setting when we left, and its light was completely gone by the time I turned out of Tory's driveway. I had just gotten on the highway when I heard the siren. I glanced in my rearview mirror- sure enough, I could see the red and blue lights flashing behind me. I put on my right blinker and pulled over to the side of the road.

"Son of a bitch," I swore under my breath. My parents would kill me if I got another speeding ticket. The cop approached my car and knocked on my window. I rolled it down and put on my best kiss-ass smile.

"Hello Officer," I greeted him politely and innocently. "Is there something wrong?"

"Ma'am, I'm going to have to ask you to step out of the vehicle." He said. I frowned in confusion, but complied. I'd argued with a police officer before and I'd still ended up with a ticket- as well as an additional twenty hours of community service.

In the red and blue light of the cop car, I could see the face of the officer more clearly. He was younger than I had thought by the sound of his voice- maybe 22 at most. He had sandy blonde hair cropped close short, the sharpest jaw line I'd ever seen, and cool blue eyes. Simply put, he was ridiculously attractive. His cheekbones could cut ice and his nose was straight and slim. Not even the unflattering red light of the cop car hindered his appearance.

It took me a few moments to notice, but it had started to rain. The longer the police officer and I stood outside, the heavier it got. I also noticed that there were no other cars on the highway. The only light came from my headlights and the top of cop car.

"I am going to have to ask you to step over here for a moment," The young police officer said. He rested a hand on the small of my back as he guided me, gently but firmly, closer to his vehicle. I felt a wave of anxiety crash over me. Something wasn't right.

"Can I ask why you pulled me over, Officer?" I asked, trying to maintain a calm demeanor. The pit in my stomach told me this was not going anywhere good. The officer didn't respond, but when I opened my mouth to ask another question, I was met with a hard shove.

The officer managed to open the back of the cop car and practically throw me inside before locking the doors. He got inside my car, which was still running, and maneuvered it so it was just over the edge of the road and leaning down a hill. I watched as he wiped down all the surfaces in the car he had touched before he opened the driver's side door. He left the car in drive, jumped out, and ran back to the cop car. I watched my beloved SUV roll down the hill and into a tree. The officer slid back into his vehicle and sped off, with me in the backseat.

I am utterly fucked.

I wasn't entirely sure what to think at this point. My heart rate was increasing with every passing mile, and it took me a few moments to realize that I had been kidnapped. I had just been abducted by an officer of the law. The cop had his foot pressed all the way down on the accelerator and the speedometer was inching father and farther to the right.

There was a panel of glass, most likely bulletproof, separating me from the psychotic police officer in the driver's seat. I tried to speak to him a few times but he either couldn't hear me or was well trained in the art of ignoring the girls he kidnapped. I sat back against the seat and, out of habit and fear of his driving skills, buckled myself in.

We were in the car for maybe eight hours. He stopped twice to refill the gas tanks from the containers he kept in the trunk. I couldn't help but wonder what my family had thought when I didn't come home that night. My mom would panic, and my dad would calm her down. He would only start to worry as it approached midnight. My brother would reassure my mom that I probably stopped for food, but would sneak up to his room to call Tory and ask if I was with her. They would probably worry that I had been in an accident in the dark and the rain- and someone would probably find my car, and an officer would show up on the front porch. But I wasn't in my car. I wasn't lying unconscious or dead on the side of the road. I was in the backseat of a cop car, getting further and further from home with each second.