Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

Chapter Five

"He's not even worth this effort," Taylor said as he watched me try on shirt after shirt.

I ignored his comment and grabbed another shirt from the dresser.

"Is this something you're going to do for every date?"

I held the shirt up to me and looked in the mirror.

"Stop ignoring me, Luke!"

"You're being annoying, Taylor."

"I'm being curious."

I finally turned around and gave him a flat look. "'He's not even worth this effort' is being curious?" The way I mimicked his voice made him laugh.

He shrugged. "That was just me stating my opinion."

"Well, quit it. Because it's making me want to punch you."

It went silent for a moment before Taylor said, "This is definitely the gayest I've ever seen you."

"Okay, that's it." I dropped the shirt and stormed toward the grinning Taylor.

He jumped off the bed, dodged me, and ran out of the room. Rolling my eyes, I grabbed my shirt from off the floor and put it back in the drawer, settling on a nice button-up instead. After making sure I looked okay, I headed into the kitchen where I found Taylor making a sandwich.

"Want one?"

"No, I'm going to have dinner soon." As if he didn't already know that.

He looked up and frowned, glancing down at my clothes. "That's what you're wearing?"

I looked down at my clothes. "Yes...what's wrong with it?"

"Nothing's wrong with it."

"Taylor, I swear to god if you don't tell me—"

"Nothing's wrong with it, dude! You look nice!"

"Then what's the matter?"

"I guess I was hoping you'd change your mind."

"I'm not going to."

"Fine," he mumbled, grabbing a paper towel and wrapping his sandwich up. "I'm going to take this to go."

"But you still have an hour before the warm-up."

"Yeah" was his response as he grabbed a soda and headed out of the kitchen. I followed him to the front door where he finally turned around. "Have fun on your date."

"Good luck," I replied.

A strange look flashed on his face, but he quickly looked away as he mumbled something incoherent and walked out of the house. I went back into my room and sprayed myself with cologne. Is it really such a big deal if I miss one stupid game? He sure acted like it was. I had always been at every game—whether I was playing or not—but breaking routine once in my life wasn't going to hurt anything. I was tired of doing everything based on him; I needed my own life.

I sat down on the edge of the bed and sighed. Why had he given me that look? Is he trying to make me feel guilty? Because it's working. Jerk. I shook my head. No, my life can't revolve around Taylor. I am going on that date and I am going to enjoy it!

~*~

"I like your shirt," Landon said as I stepped out of the house and followed him to his car.

"Thanks." I gave him a half-hearted smile.

"I thought we could go to dinner and catch a movie tonight."

"Sounds perfect." I hoped I sounded enthusiastic. My mind had been on nothing but Taylor since the moment he left the house—or entered my life for that matter—and I was still having a hard time shaking him from my thoughts.