27: No Growth Without Change

LPOV

The three of us sprinted down the hallway towards the elevators. I didn't look back but I could only assume Bill, or whatever the fuck he had become, was chasing us. Sookie screamed as she tripped and fell into a puddle of vampire goo, Eric and I grabbed either of her arms and lifted her forwards into the waiting elevator. I slammed my finger into button for the ground floor and sighed in relief as the elevator began its ascent. Then suddenly it came to a screeching halt and the light blinked out. "Fuck," I mumbled. Sookie held out her hand and her light came on.

"Can we get out through the top?" Sookie asked.

Eric pulled down part of the lights and started beating on the metal above it. Finally he broke through and made a hole big enough for us to escape. "Lily, I'll push you up first and then you can help pull Sookie up." I nodded and got into position for him to hoist me up into the elevator shaft. He lifted me up and I grabbed the edges and pulled myself out of the elevator. I knelt down by the hole and grabbed Sookie's hands and yanked her up after me. She landed with considerably less grace than I had and stumbled into one of the walls. I turned back to the hole and pulled Eric up. There was an emergency evacuation ladder and I heard Sookie sigh in relief that she wouldn't have to scale the wall.

Sookie started to climb the ladder. Eric rolled his eyes before grabbing us both around the waists and flying us up to the top. "Turn so I can get the door open," I told him and he turned us around. Sookie was clutching onto his arm for dear life and trying not to look down. I dug my fingers between the doors and pushed them aside and we excited.

"What now?" Sookie asked.

"We get the car and find the others," I told her. We hadn't parked too far away from the building so I was a bit nervous to see if our car had already caught fire. Thankfully it was fine, saving us the trouble of hot wiring a car. I hopped into the passenger seat next to Eric, forcing Sookie into the back. We drove around to the front of the building and I looked for our friends. "Is that them, through the smoke?" I asked pointing towards some blobs that appeared to be moving. Eric nodded and drove towards them.

They all got into the car and Jessica leaned into the front towards me. "What about Bill?" I shook my head and she sank back into her seat. I looked out the window though I could feel Eric staring at me.

I noticed Bill coming through the fire. "Look," I said.

"Is that Bill?" Jessica asked.

"Not anymore," Sookie answered as I shook my head.

"Get us the fuck out of here!" Pam yelled at Eric from the back. He turned the SUV around and sped away. I could hear the others arguing in the car but I tuned them out. I didn't want to talk about Bill, but I knew it was stupid to think I could avoid the subject forever. Eventually I would have to confront the fact that my only remaining blood relative, other than Rachel, had turned into an insane super monster. I sighed; I'd have to explain it to Rachel somehow.

The radio changed from music to the news. "The governor has called an urgent press conference; we take you to Baton Rouge for the latest action," a newscaster said over the radio. We all listened as the governor talked about the how Louisiana had welcomed vampires but now it was unsafe to have vampires living among the humans.

"I am instituting a vampire curfew. All vampires must stay underground or indoors at night and furthermore I am closing down all vampire run businesses and institutions," the governor said.

"Can they do that?" I asked Eric.

"Apparently they can," Sookie said.

"It's about damn time someone did something about y'all," Jason said hitting my seat.