1. Cat Got Your Tongue

Chapter 1:

Cat Got Your Tongue

"Embrace your demons, for they've embraced you."

***

The view from the yacht was unimaginably breathtaking. From the sun hovering just over the water's surface to the rolling waves in the distance, this was exactly the life Foster and Adriana wanted; and their parents were ecstatic they could finally give it to them.

"So what do you think?" Malcolm Castro asks as he strolls over to his children. "It's breathtaking isn't it?"

Adriana smiled at her father's words then twirled around in her skirt

"It's amazing dad. Don't you think, Foster?" Adriana replies. Foster glared in his sister's direction then back down at the wheel he was pretending to turn.

"Yeah, don't you think, Foster?" Stacy, their mother calls, as she rises us from the cabin of the boat wearing a large sun hat and white dress.

"It's pretty nice." He finally muffles out. Malcolm then wrapped his arm around his son's neck and pulled him in close.

"All for you guys." He chuckles as he rustles his hair. Foster quickly wrestled him off and fixed his hoodie string that had be elongated.

"I still don't understand why we have to move. I like living close to everything. Moving to some snotty neighborhood with snotty people isn't going to do us any good at all." Foster adds. Malcolm and Stacy glance at each other and then down.

"It'll do us all some good, Fos. New people, new school-"

"I like the school we go to now, mom. Adriana is in twelfth grade and I'm in eleventh, we shouldn't have to move before we graduate." Adriana then skipped over to her brother and cupped his ear in her hand. She then began whispering and did so for several seconds. Foster's face went from tensed to relaxed in that instant and a smile even broke through. She then planted a kiss on his cheek and slid away from him. "So when are we moving?" he blurts out with his arms in the air.

-------------

Foster gawked at the fabulous cars and homes the family drove by on their way to Graceford Hills. It seemed every car was made of chrome and every doorstep was encrusted with diamonds. People that walked the sidewalks with handfuls of shopping bags and wallets full of money seemed to be oblivious to the newcomers, engulfed in their own world. The streets were a stained blue with red sand patches that had palm trees growing in each and every way.

"I swear everyone here looks filthy stinking rich." Adriana yells over the blasting reggae music her father always played. Foster taps her on her shoulder and then speaks

"That's because they are." Even if that wasn't true, the people of California had built themselves of false self-pride and old money that no longer existed. Soon the family passes infamous Beverly Hills and is closer to their new home in the multi million dollar mini town known as Graceford Hills. Celebrities and athletes were the most formidable faces in these parts and it wasn't a surprise to have one as a neighbor. Foster ran his fingers through his short dark hair and scratched at his forehead as he realized his scarred past could be left in the dust if he wanted it to. He thought back on the time he was jumped and robbed for trying to protect and ex-girlfriend that ended up screwing him over, and how he just wanted to forget about it all and replace it with the memory of finding a hot blonde with more money than she has any idea what to do with. His eyes then darted over to Adriana who had the softest smile perched on her lips and her long hair in her green eyes. "As long as its better for her" he thought, removing any selfish thought from his mind.

Malcolm grabbed onto his wife's hand as they rolled passed a bright blue sign that read "Welcome to Graceford Hills, let your passions and desires follow and thrive with you here!" She gave him a grin then looked ahead of them and saw the ten foot tall steel gate that separated their future home from the rest of the world. Their black SUV rolled up to the gatekeeper and came to a halt just feet from their new life.

"Ah, Mr. Castro, it's great to see you again. Come right on in." The man says with a wide grin. He then reaches over and turns a key, splitting the gate in two, making a clear path into the development of luxurious homes only thought about in magazines.

As they drove along, people outside walking their dogs and playing catch waved or stared at the family. Some were welcoming of the strangers while other were already suspicious of them. There were countless Mercedes Benz' parked in stretched driveways, and golf courses in people's backyards. A girl around seventeen taking out the trash in a skimpy t shirt and ripped jeans caught Foster's eye in a heart beat and he couldn't unlock eyes with her. Long blonde hair, and a Lamborghini parked in her driveway signified that she was indeed his dream girl. Adriana on the other hand was locked eyes with a set of twins who had their shirts off and were helping their mother take groceries in the house. One turned and gave her a quick smile that revealed gleaming white teeth before turning around and continuing his duties. It seemed each home they drove by had its own designated palm tree on the front lawn and some even more. It was all so much to take it that before they knew it, they were staring at their house. A ten million dollar estate with marble stairs, oak doors, and a fountain placed direct center. Multiple palm trees scattered the lawn and a lion statue sit out on the concrete path.

"Here we are." Malcolm states, pulling into the driveway and parking the car.

"When will the moving truck be here with our stuff?" Adriana asks.

"Hm, not sure. I think I lost them on the highway." Their father chuckles back. Foster then jumps out of the car and runs right inside of the house yelling,

"First dibs on rooms!"

"Yeah right!" Adriana yells, as she runs after him.

Malcolm and Stacy chuckle as they both exit the car and walk towards one another. He wraps his arms around her and kisses her forehead.

"Congratulations, Mrs. Castro." She then turns and faces her husband.

"No, congratulations, Mr. Castro."

The two then share a kiss and separate.

"Go on inside, I'll take care of the stuff in the truck." He insists.

"My superman." She adds before strutting into the house.

Malcolm then takes a step back and observes his new home, but not for log as an all too familiar voice breaks his peace.

"Good to see you've moved into the neighborhood, Frank." Malcolm turns to see a man named Damien Fowel shouts from his property which was right next to theirs. "Oh, I'm sorry, what do the kiddies call you..Malcolm is it?" Damien stood, arms crossed staring at Malcolm with a wicked grin. "What's the matter, cat got your tongue?" He remained silent, with clenched fists as though ready to strike at any moment. "It's a lovely little place isn't it." he adds.

"Get out of here, Damien." Malcolm finally spits out.

"Last time I checked, I didn't work for you anymore. Our deal was up when I got locked up because of you. In fact, the last time I saw you you were living on the way other side of town. Do your kids even know how you and that whore paid for this place?"

"Watch your mouth." Malcolm shouts as he storms over to Damien.

"Watch it, Frank. You're not in E-town anymore. You're on my property, in my world. You best due well to remember that." Malcolm then slowly steps away from him and lowers his hands. "And keep it down, the neighbors are watching." He adds, pointing to a woman holding a child across the street and an elderly couple walking down the pavement. Damien then started to make his way back to the inside of his house, but not before one last remark.

"And you best keep that bitch and those mutts on a leash when outside if you know what's good for you. See you around." With that, he returned to his home and shut the door softly.

Malcolm stood there for several seconds not knowing that half the neighborhood was already watching him.