Bad News

As I got home, all I could think about was Ness and how I had stuffed up today. I knew I had really done it when Edward had gone off at me like that. It was like back when we were both fighting over Bella. He hadn't gone off at me like that for years now.  

I sighed and shook my head while walking back into the house. Thankfully it was quiet. Dad was with Charlie watching the game and Rachel was with Paul. But I knew they would both be back soon enough and then I would be harassed by Paul, like always. 

I sat back on the couch while staring down at the floor for a while. The only sound in the house was the clock ticking in the kitchen. I wondered how much longer it would be until both Bella and Edward left for hunting. I needed to see her, but I had to see her after the patrol around La Push. Just because I had an imprint, didn't mean I could just stop being an Alpha. I growled slightly annoyed with that thought. Now the guys would hear my problems too. Oh the joys of the pack mind! 

I got up from the couch and went into the kitchen to get dinner started for the three of us - Rachel, Paul and I. I knew dad would be coming home late after the game had finished and he usually always had dinner with Charlie, though, at times he said it wasn't even eatable it was so burnt. I really wondered how Charlie had managed living without Bella. He really couldn't afford to go to the diner every morning, afternoon and night. 

I started to cook a medium sized pork roast and then started to get the vegetables on to cook slowly with it. I sliced the carrots, defrosted the peas and peeled the mushrooms just as Paul and Rachel came in the door laughing like drunks. I rolled my eyes. They were always like this! It wasn't that I didn't like seeing Rach happy; it was just the fact Paul couldn't keep his hands to himself, and then not broadcast it the whole pack later on. I was so glad he had stayed in Sam's pack, but that still didn't mean I didn't get to hear a thought or two come from him.  

"Dinner is in the oven," I shouted out to the two of them before anything more could come of their laughing. Often they didn't even realize there was someone else in the house other than themselves. I really couldn't wait until Paul got his own place. But then, I wouldn't ever get to see my big sister anymore either if that happened. I knew she would still come for visits, but it still wouldn't be the same. 

Rachel pranced into the kitchen, while smiling widely. She held up her hand as she got closer to me and smiled even wider. "Like my engagement ring Jake?" she asked as my eyes focused on two gems side by side - one red and one white. I looked to her with being amazed.  

"Is that a ruby and diamond?"  

She giggled and pulled her hand back to look at it closely. "Yup, Paul couldn't have gotten anything sweeter." 

I rolled my eyes mentally at that. Ego boost for Paul alert! Ouch, Sam was going to be in for it tonight. I had to say I was glad for Rachel though. She had been planning her wedding since she was fourteen. She had a whole folder and everything full of ideas for her wedding. I would have been lying if I had thought Paul would hold out for this long with not marrying my sister with being the player he was. Though, he had changed a lot since he had imprinted on Rachel, thankfully, for his sake that is. 

"Nice, congrats you two," I said smiling.  

"Thanks Jake," Paul said from sitting on the arm rest of the couch as Rachel stood beside him, still smiling wider than I had ever seen her smile before. Talk about love birds! I just hoped that Ness and I could be the same way one day. I really wanted to spend the rest of my life with her. I hoped she felt the same way too, and that her father would allow it. . . 

I turned down the oven a little and stepped out of the kitchen just as there was a knock on the door. I knew that was Sam. He always came here when he was ready to go on patrol, as Paul was never ready. He sighed and kissed Rachel as I took off my shirt and threw it onto the couch while heading towards the door. "Look after the roast, will ya Rach?" I asked with my hand now touching the door knob. She sighed and nodded her head as Paul pulled her into a kiss. I rolled my eyes again and went outside to Sam before they could get anymore cosier together.