Prologue

Whistles are blowing. Sneakers are squeaking against the gym floor. People are shouting, jumping, panting. Sweat was dripping down the sides of people's faces, glistening under the fluorescent lighting that is brightening up the gym. My eyes are following the white and blue volleyball that was rapidly flying through the air and over the net. Back and forth, back and forth. A harsh and loud smacking sound echoes around the court after a hand makes contact with it. The whistle blows again after the familiar smacking sound of ball meeting floor is heard. A point is given to the team I was drafted onto. I let out a breath and quickly glance at the clock on the adjacent wall. The minute hand on the clock was ticking by slower than molasses being poured out of a jar on a cold winter day.  The class period seems to be dragging on, only five minutes have passed since I last looked at the same clock. I contemplate swapping out with another girl for the next few rounds, but I know time will only go slower if I do that since I have no one to really talk to in my gym class. The few friends I have where all in different classes and I only get to seem them at lunch. The whistle blows again and my attention was back to fully watching the flying volleyball that was in play. I was in the back row, the safer row and secretly my favorite position to play. 

Everything was going well, my team was up by 3 and in two more rounds could even end up winning the game. I was trying to play the best I could on a team filled with a few upperclassman and mostly taller boys which blocked my short 5 foot 2 frame. The world around me seemed like a blur since everything was happening in fast succession. 

Bump. 

Set. 

Over. 

Blocked.

Bump back over to save.

Hit. 

Set.

Over. 

Repeat. 

The ball came my way and I quickly bumped it back over the net. Adrenaline kicks in, everything that surrounds me fades away I am only focused on making sure that I do not let the ball touch the floor or go out of bounds. The tall upperclassmen in front of me rush to the net to try to block the ball and I do not fully realize what was going on until a taller frame jump spikes the ball, it passes the block and hits me right in the face. I was too slow to react, seeing as I did not pay attention to the guys attempting to block the ball and did not notice the wide area in front of me that was now wide open, a perfect area to hit the ball. Instead, it hit me. 

A sharp whistle blows loudly affecting the ringing in my ears that was already forming. I walked off to the side of the gym. I had my eyes shut tightly and my head was held in my hands. The talking around me got louder and was not helping the headache forming from the center of my forehead. 

"Hey, are you alright?"

"Is there any blood, is her nose broken?"

"Clarkson, I think you should sit down. Maybe go to the nurse's office"

I just want everyone to be quiet for a second so I can think! I felt a set of hands touch my shoulders. "I am so sorry. Are you ok? I did not mean to spike it directly in your direction. Can I do anything?"

Words formed in my mouth quickly before I could stop them, a deep red blush forming on my cheeks from embarrassment. "I fine, honestly it's alright. Accidents happen. It's all good." I tried swiping the hands off my shoulders. I opened my eyes to piercing bluish green ones staring down at me. 

"Can I at least give you a hug, I feel bad." I let out a little laugh and nodded my head. After being released from the brief hug I started to get dizzy. The gym teacher, Mr. Knapp walked back over to me after getting an ice pack from the locker room. 

"Clarkson, I think you need to go to the nurse's office to make sure you didn't get a concussion." I nodded my head and then stopped. "I will head down right away." 

"I'll go with her coach in case she passes out on the way there."

I look up at him, this extremely tall guy that spiked the very volleyball that caused this. "You do not have to I am fine."

"No he's right, it's a good safety precaution."

"Plus I feel responsible I did spike the volleyball." I could not argue with that and so the two of us started the trek to the nurse's office.

It was quiet between us for a few minutes. All that could be heard was the sound of our sneakers meeting the hallway floor and the muted voices of teachers lecturing their classes through their closed doors.

"So, are you a freshman as well? I have not really seen you around that much. I mean I have seen you before, in middle school, but I never really knew what grade you were in. " He said to me.

"Yes, we've been in school together since kindergarten.  I also live on the street behind you. And I just kind of keep to myself. I haven't really been apart of any large friend groups before."

"Oh." It was quiet for a few more minutes until I heard him mutter under his breath quietly "I'm such an idiot, how come I did not recognize her." 

I turn my head to look at him and narrow my eyes slightly "Did you say something?"

"Huh? No, I was just. Nothing, it's nothing." 

"Hmm" I faced my head forward and kept walking. The nurse's office was at the end of the hallway.

"So, I feel bad for spiking you in the face with the volleyball, and for kind of forgetting you have been in my class since kindergarten. And I know that it probably does not bother you that much. I mean it probably does but you are probably used to it, not that its ok but. Ugh if my mother knew this I would be so dead right now."

"You're babbling"

"Right, sorry. Its a habit of mine whenever I mess up"

"How did you mess up?"

"I completely forgot you existed?"

"Look, it's ok! We are a part of a fairly large class. You can't remember everyone!"

"Yeah but. Ugh. Look, let's start over fresh. That is what high school is all about right?"

"Right?" We stopped right outside of the nurse's door. He looks down at me with a big smile and gleam in his eyes. And sticks his hand out for a handshake. I just look at it weirdly.

"Hello, my name is Ben. I am a member of the football team, future quarterback, and it is very nice to meet you." I just kept staring at his hand and then burst out laughing. I shake my head once I see a tiny look in rejection in his eye. I place my hand in his and give him a firm handshake.

"You are completely ridiculous Ben. By the way, my name is Andrea, a member of the marching band and it is really nice to meet you again." 

He smiled and then held the door open for me as I walked through it and into the bright light of the room and with it the start of the unlikeliest of friendships. 

Here is the prologue. Let me know what you think! Comment and Vote below! 

-YoursFaithfully01