Chapter 48. Torment

My running died down into a slow pace as my breathing picked up. I glanced to my side, seeing my house. I focused specifically on the windows, seeing as there's a shadow pacing back and forth behind the translucent curtains. Should I tell Dylan where I'm headed?

I halted, thinking of my next move. I stared at the shadow, wondering what the hell Dylan is doing, walking around.

He constantly kneels down or glances around as he paced. I'm getting worried . . . I'll just give him a call. I don't really want to talk to him since he's being such a grump since this morning-even though it's all on me because I keep blabbing about my issues with Byron.

I turned and resumed my walk to Byron's house. I fished out my phone from my antique sling bag and dialed Dylan's number, which is luckily the first number that showed up, given that I barely text anyone else than him.

In just three rings, he immediately picked up, "What?"

"Nothing. Just passed by the house . . ." I shrugged even though he couldn't see me, "What the hell were you doing?"

"N-none."

I paused, "None?"

"Nothing. I meant nothing." His voice went higher, "Anyway, where are you going? I thought you'll be home 'soon'." 

"Okay, but before we get to that, what were you doing?" I repeated the question he nearly avoided, "Answer me." I pressed on.

"Nothing!"

"You fucking liar!" I accused. He is definitely up to something.

There was a long pause on the other end, I nearly thought that he had hung up with my phone spontaneously not notifying me, ". . . Chester is missing."

As he dropped those three words, I immediately felt a roller coaster of disgust, panic and dread, "Oh, my God! I swear, if one of my stuff gets ruined, I will-"

"See?! This is why I didn't want to tell you!" He cut me off, shouting. "You're so stupid, you're full of empty threats. You can't even touch him! You're horrible!"

My mouth hang open as I walked with my phone on my ear. I really shouldn't have scolded him. It slipped my mind that he's in a total crabby state. This is a mistake.

"I'm older than you, you can't threaten me! This house is my property too, you ass!" He added. Oh, God, he just lumped me in with Droney. Ugh.

"Mmkay, Dylan." I said in a hurried tone as Byron's house entered my field of vision, "I'm going to be at Byron's house. I'll text you when I'll be home." I didn't wait for another word and hung up. He can be really rude sometimes-So can I, but not as much, I think.

As I grew closer and closer to Byron's house, I noticed that it's really dark inside, but maybe it's just me. Eventually, I reached his porch and stopped. I took a big breath and rang the doorbell twice. I really don't know what's going on or why did I even come here in the first place, but there's one question in my mind. 

Why is he taking a leave? Sure, Mr. Myers said he's probably stressed out from working at both the high school and college, but that can't possibly be it. He doesn't even looked stressed, he's being perfectly normal. I think he's even done with all the things he had to do related to work. That can't be it. I know it.

Why isn't he opening the door? It's getting dark out too . . . 

I rang the doorbell three more times. I don't really care if I'm acting incredibly creepy right now. I'm worried. I backed away from the door and walked to the side of the porch. I faced the window and knelt towards it, cupping my hands around my eyes as I peered inside. Of course, there's a curtain blocking half of my view, but I could partially see inside, and it was empty and dark.