"Uhm, Joey.......your dad...does he know?"

"I'm sure Uncle Laom would tell him.", she replied in a monotone.  Adrian gave her hand a gentle squeeze but said nothing.  He drove on, thinking of her dad's business card carefully tucked inside his wallet.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Two days later, Joey sat beside Adrian in front of the piano in her uncle's gallery.   They were just hanging out after dinner.   Adrian had planned on going out for dinner but the heavy evening downpour forced them to stay indoors.  It was just as well as he had a little surprise for Joey.  It kept him awake the previous night and although it still needed some more work, he couldn't wait to let her hear it.  After all, it was a breakthrough for him.  He had felt that sudden urge to create something, like an underground spring bursting through the earth's surface and gushing forth.  And there was no other reason for his renewed energy but her.

"Ready?", he asked Joey.  She nodded expectantly, watching his long fingers poised above the piano keys.  He smiled fondly at her and started to play the intro.  The slow, delicate melody reminded Joey of cool, breezy afternoons by the pond in the park.  Then, with his eyes half-closed, Adrian started to sing.

.

Lonely nights with no end in sight

Trying so hard to find the light

Through this quiet road, from out of the blue

Who would've known it would lead me to you?

.

Adrian gazed into her eyes as he went into the refrain.

.

I can see in your eyes how the fireflies dance

I can hear in your voice the songs of romance

If I'd only known you'd set my heart aglow

I would have found my way to you long ago.

.

Joey blinked, completely moved and fighting back the tears.  No one had ever written a song or even a poem for her.

.

I was but an empty canvas

Dull and gray, until there was us

You brighten my world with your gentle touch

Who would've known I would love you this much?

.

I can see in your eyes how the fireflies dance

I can hear in your voice the songs of romance

If I'd only known you'd set my heart aglow

I would have found my way to you long ago.

Who would've known?

.

As Adrian's deft fingers completed the trailing notes of the song, Joey felt the tears on her cheeks.   He gazed at her with concern and brought his hand to her face to gently wipe away her tears himself.

"Hey, why are you crying?", he softly asked.

She let out a faint smile and shook her head.   "It's beautiful."