Chapter 3

Lily froze, her mouth agape at their morning guest.  Her heart almost stopped as Adrian peeled off his shades and leaned over the reception desk.

"Good morning....I've an appointment with Mr. Paglaom Sacay.  Is he in?"

"Ah...yes..."  Lily struggled to regain composure.   "I'll just.....I'll call him, Mister---?"

"Just Adrian."

She nodded nervously.  "Just Adrian."   And she hurried up the stairs, almost tripping over herself.   She returned shortly, a thin, middle-aged man trailing after her.  Paglaom was in his favorite get-up – a black t-shirt with the words "Procrastinate Now" embossed on the front, faded jeans, and worn-out sandals.   The specks of gray in his hair and the lines on his face belied his real age of 48.  He walked up to Adrian, his hand extended.

"Adrian?"  His grip was firm and strong.  "Come, come....let's discuss this painting you reserved.  Can I offer you coffee?  Or juice?"   Adrian graciously declined and together they walked up to the piece in question.  "So! You like this one?"

"Yes."  Adrian smiled, hands in his pocket.  "I have another one of yours, in fact.  The title's 'Barrio'."

"Ah yes, I remember that one.  I made that two years ago.  You collect art?"

Adrian nodded.  "I'm building my collection."

The older man nodded, obviously pleased.  He clasped his hands together and regarded Adrian for a moment.  "I'm surprised that Joey didn't give you a discount yesterday."

"Joey?"  Adrian's brows creased.  "He wasn't here....it was Josephine who---"

Paglaom was smiling apologetically.   "Sorry...I think you're the latest victim of her little game. Josephine and Joey....they're one and the same."

"Oh."   That was unexpected.

"Sorry about that.  Anyway, I usually let her decide on the discounts since she handles the finances ......but since you're here....."

They haggled for a bit until they agreed at 40.  Adrian would've given in at 42 but Paglaom tossed in an additional 2k in discount as peace offering for Joey's little prank – not that it was necessary.  He was actually more amused than irked.

"I'll have it delivered tomorrow afternoon."   Paglaom promised as he handed back Adrian's credit card.  He checked the address the young man had written down.  "Oh, you're staying at Luis' house? He's an old friend."

"Really?  He's my handler's uncle...so they let me stay there temporarily."

Paglaom regarded him with curiosity, his eyes piercing into him.   "I hope you don't mind my asking....are you on leave from showbiz?  You're not in hiding, are you?"

Adrian laughed.  "No, no, I'm not hiding from anyone.  You can say I'm on leave.... Something like that."  He checked his watch.  "Oh I'm sorry sir, I have to rush. "  The older man nodded his assent and they shook hands, thanking each other.   Lily, who was frozen to her seat watching this exchange, blushed a bright pink as Adrian turned to her and almost fainted when he smiled and thanked her, too.

Hardly had Adrian closed the door behind him when he opened it again.   "Uhm.....how do I get to St. Lawrence, would you know?", he asked Paglaom.

"St. Lawrence the school?   Just turn right at the corner then straight ahead.  It's just four blocks away, you won't miss it."

"Thanks again."

"Josephine--- Joey teaches Math there.", the older man added.

"Oh, really?"   Adrian smirked, his eyes gleaming.