Chapter One

Fourth of July. I stand in the town's grass pasture watching the fireworks. The sound of the cracking mixed with Louis Armstrong's God Bless America song playing from Old Thomas' Ford pickup truck fill my ears. I silently sing along, being quiet like I'm told to be. I look at my dad talking to Joe, the town's butcher and my father's best friend.

"I say that they just stay away. No need to be causing trouble around here. Just more things for this town to deal with." Dad says while Joe nods. I stare at the ground trying not to look like I'm eavesdropping, but don't succeed.

"Evelyn. Do you have any business in this conversation?" Joe says to me. I look up, dad crosses his arms and glares at me. I shake my head slowly and look at the ground again.

"Go get your sister. The fireworks are almost over." Dad orders me. I nod and walk away. I wander around, trying to find my sister, Cassandra. I get close to the barn and hear her voice. I quietly open the door and see her and her boyfriend, Doug, in the hay.

"Doug no." She says, trying to push him off her. He ignores her and continues to try to take off her shirt. "Doug--" she tries to say but he covers her mouth with his hand. He gets her shirt high enough to see her bra, covering her eyes with it. She squirms but can't get free.

"Babe, I ain't gonna hurt you. Don't be a prude." He says, lifting up his hand so he could take off her shirt completely.

"Get off of me!" She yells, punching him in his groin. He lets out a groan.

"You bitch!" He hisses, back handing her across her face. Her head snaps to the side, her blonde hair covering her tears.

"Cassandra!" I yell. They both look up at me. Doug gets up, throwing Cassandra's shirt at her.

"Don't bother calling me later." He says, while walking away. He brushes passed me. "Thanks for ruining the fun." I turn around to say something but Cassandra cuts me off.

"Doug wait!" She yells. He ignores her and she glares at me. "I swear to god. Tell Dad and I'll murder you." She hisses. "God you ruin everything." She puts on her shirt and chases after Doug. I follow her, trying to get her attention.

"Dad wants us back. He says it's time to go home." I tell to her. She throws her head back in laughter.

"Tell Commander Daddy that he can kiss my ass." She says, walking towards Doug, who was already chatting up another girl. I stop walking, seeing her beg for forgiveness from Doug. I turn around and see Dad. I quickly run over to him.

"Dad! Hey, Cassandra says she's gonna spend the night at Maddie's house tonight." I knew it was bad to cover for Cassandra, but I feel like it would be worse if I didn't. Dad nods at my lie.

"Ok. Well let's go. Think you can drive? I had a couple drinks tonight and the last thing I need is the sheriff on my tail." I nod, taking the keys from him. I thank God that he only had a few tonight. I take the long way to the make-shift parking lot the town made for tonight, in hopes not to bump into Cassandra. We make it to the truck and I unlock the doors. We both slide in as I turn on the truck.

"I'm making your curfew earlier. There's a couple city boys that just moved in on Elmer Street... A frat house I think they call it. I don't want you associating with them. Ever. If I ever find out you do, there will be hell to pay. I can promise you that." Dad says. I only nod, unable to argue with him. It would only be pointless. I would lose any argument, even if I was right. I stop at the town's only street light. We wait in silence for the green light. I hear shouting coming from behind us. I look in the mirror and see a blue jeep speeding towards us. I start to get nervous as they get closer.

"Speaking of the damn devil." Dad says. The blue jeep pulls up beside us. Loud music I've never heard is blaring from their car.

"Woo! America!" One of them yell, the others woo in agreement. They look over at our truck. They get silent for a second.