15. Weeping Pixel

Daylight.  He stumbled out onto the street, everything a blur, the remnants of the Bitter Sweet still sparking his mind. He was but a player in the game, his world controlled, someone else’s game. Right now his world was a multitude of colours, all merging and swimming together, blurred lines. The daylight contaminating his dreamlike perfection so much so that the colour ran off the walls like paint flowing down the bricks. A rainbow waterfall. His world, someone else’s game, weeping pixels.

Thoughts had all merged into one swirling mass of questioning chaos. An asking cloud inside his head. He didn’t know where to go only that he had to get there. He had to get away from the warren and he had to get away from her. The memories should stay there, buried, dead, drowned. Like her.

EMMA

He had simply sold memories for a wild trip that painfully released him. A wild trip, that’s all it was. A trip that you return from, your problems when you leave are still there when you return. Because you cannot simply sell memories.

EMMMA

He put one foot in front of the other. The swirling colours around him swooped and curved, merging and changing as he went. One foot in front of the other. He had to get away. They were coming. He had to get away. They were coming.

EMMA

He had to get away, desperation and fear soon bubbled up through his veins mixing with the drug. He turned left and right, left and right, erratic, colours bleeding everywhere, the buildings seemed to cry for him. It was as if the world pitied, its tears stopping and starting, their shape now harsh and blunt. They were coming.

EMMA

The world grew pixelated as it silently wept for him. They had arrived. It happened so quickly that Josh had no time to react. The car pulled up on the side of the street as Josh was walking past. Two men approached from behind, each taking an arm. One of them inserted a needle into the back of his neck as they pushed him into the opened door of the car. The door shut and the car drove away.

Josh lay across the back seats, his vision blurring. He coughed, soon throwing his body into convulsions as the world changed once more. The brightness now left, pleasing curves and rolling waves of colour had been replaced with jagged black and whited shards that pierced his vision and stabbed his mind. The smell of leather, new car. That was the last thing he remembered. Tears slowly emerged from his quivering eyes, weeping pixel. Josh muttered one word;

“Emma.”

 Then his eyes rolled into his skull and he fell unconscious.