Chapter Five

When I woke up, the first thing I realized was that I wasn't in my own bed. The second thing, I was in someone else's bed. I sat up and glanced around the room. I was alone, but when I glanced at the empty space of bed beside me, I saw a clear outline of a head in the other pillow. I quickly got out of the bed. The makeshift bed I had made the night before was still on the floor.

I didn't have to wonder how the hell I got into the bed. I knew Alpha Alexander placed me there. I wanted to punch something—preferably the bossy Alpha. He purposefully went against my wishes, knowing that I would be upset. Something inside of me knew that he never touched me inappropriately, but I still didn't like the idea that he picked me up and placed me in bed with him. I needed space, which was why I slept on the floor. I didn't know what sort of . . . activities he participated in in that bed. I didn't want to sleep in the same bed with him, much less the same room.

I made a decision to demand for my own room when I saw him next.

I glanced at the clock on the night stand. I had an hour before I needed to leave for school. I took a long shower, this time remembering my shower stuff and scrubbing my hair with my own strawberry-scented shampoo. After dressing in a maxi skirt and cardigan with a decorative scarf, I quickly brushed my wet hair and shook it out so that loose, damp strands went down the length of my back.

I applied a thin layer of mascara and lip gloss before stepping out of the room. I still didn't have my backpack, but I figured I'd get it when I returned to school. I went downstairs and followed the sounds of breakfast. When I stumbled into the kitchen, I found it buzzing with morning excitement. After standing in the doorway for a moment, I attracted attention. First, one werewolf spotted me, then he alerted everyone else by abruptly standing and bowing his head toward me.

Eyes slowly found mine as everyone dropped their spoons and forks, standing to nod at me respectfully. Panicked, I searched for something to say. "Uh, sorry to interrupt. I was just—"

"Phoebe!"

I turned to Julie, who was grinning at the breakfast bar. "Come sit. It's just cereal this morning. Pick your poison."

I sat beside her, grateful to find a familiar face. Everyone returned to their breakfast as I picked up a box of Cinnamon Toast Crunch. I poured it into a bowl along with some milk. I glanced around, looking for a spoon.

An arm slipped in front of me, brandishing a shiny silver spoon. A soft voice came from my right, "Jason Cox at your service, milady."

I glanced at the boy leaning against the breakfast bar, grinning at me. I gingerly took the spoon. "Thanks."

"Anything for the Alpha."

I cringed. "It's just Phoebe."

He laughed. "Good luck with that, milady."

Julie spoke up from beside me. "Jason Cox, the biggest flirt Luna Nova has ever had the pleasure of enduring."

He put a hand to his heart, feigning insult. "You wound me, Julie. Truly."

She chuckled. "Don't play games with her, Jase. Alpha will have your pretty head mounted on his wall before you could pull another one-liner out of your ass."

"So you do think I'm pretty?" he gushed like a twelve-year-old. I couldn't help it, I laughed. He grinned triumphantly. "I made my Alpha Female laugh. My life is officially complete."

"Go hump a tree, Cox," Julie laughed.

"You love me," he mouthed as he walked away.

Julie shook her head, smiling at her bowl of Cheerios. "Don't let him fool you—the boy's gayer than the day is long. He just likes to poke fun."

I smiled and ate my Cinnamon Toast Crunch. "I didn't realize how many pack members went to school with us."

We finished our breakfast and dumped the dishes in the sink. Julie led me out of the house and down to a row of cars. "Where's your backpack?"

I grimaced. "I forgot it at school."

"Oh. Right."

She led me to her car and I got in the passenger seat. I realized I also left my car in the parking lot and hoped it didn't get towed or Mom and Dad picked it up. As we drove to school, Julie explained that a lot of our peers probably already knew about me being Alpha Alexander's mate. A lot of the wolves had human mates who probably told other humans.

"Don't worry, Phoebe. I have a lot of classes with you. If I'm not with you, someone else in the pack is. Just stick close to them if you feel uncomfortable."

I nodded, feeling sick. I still hadn't even told my closest friends about Alpha Alexander. Unlike me, they all had a deep hatred for werewolves. I feared them above anything else, but after last night, when they greeted me so warmly, I felt a sliver of fear break away.

"Now," Julie continued. "Did you find someone to drive your car home?"

I frowned. "Why would I need someone to drive my car home? I'm capable of doing that myself."

Julie glanced at me as she pulled into the school's parking lot. My car still sat in the stall I had left it parked in yesterday morning. "Didn't he tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

"Alpha doesn't want you driving anywhere alone."

"What?" I snapped. "Why the hell not?"

"Safety reasons." Julie parked the car and turned off the engine. "Look, Seth did the same thing. He drove me to school and back for a solid month before I could convince him that I didn't need a chauffeur. Just, let him baby you for a little bit. He's trying to get used to having a mate. His protective instincts are going wild."

I absorbed her words. "He wasn't there when I woke up."

"Well, I suggest you have one of the boys drive you home. Maybe Jason."

I shook my head. "I can handle driving by myself, thanks."

Julie bit her lip. "I don't suggest going against the Alpha, Phoebe. He can be . . . temperamental."

I got out of the car. She followed suit and we both began walking toward the school. "He can bitch all he wants," I said with finality. "I'm driving myself home."