Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine

Dread roots me to the spot. My mouth dries. How did Kronos know I was there?

"Come now, don't be shy." Poseidon smiles sinisterly, beckoning me forward. My body jerks forward in space as I skid into the cavern, my feet dragging on the ground as I struggle to break free. Poseidon smirks, and the force dragging me forward tightens around me. My eyes flicker towards Hades as I fly past him. His expression is still emotionless as he watches me, but I don't miss the way his shoulders slump in defeat.

No, Hades. Don't give up now.

My shoulders square. I look back to Poseidon and readily meet his gaze. My eyes narrow.

"Oh I'm sorry, were you talking to me? I don't exactly associate with people who call me a wench."

"She's a feisty one, isn't she? I like her a lot more than your last one." Poseidon chuckles, glancing over at Hades. "Such a shame, too. She really could have been a good influence on you."

"Well excuse you, I like to think I've already been a good influence on him. Have you heard how much he uses contractions now?" I retort, crossing my arms over my chest. Poseidon smirks again, clicking his fingers. My entire body stiffens, and I feel my throat lock.

"You really should have listened to Hades, Evie." Poseidon grabs my throat, his deep blue eyes glittering vindictively. He turns back to Hades, dragging my face with him. Tightness blooms in my lungs, spreading through my chest like wildfire the more Poseidon squeezes my throat. "Now brother, I think you'll find yourself a little more willing to tell me how to open Tartarus now that I have some leverage."

Hades stares at him with cool regard. "Then you think wrong."

Poseidon chuckles, tightening his grip on my throat. An involuntary cough splutters through my lips. "Do you really think that will work on me, Hades? Pretending that you don't care about your darling queen? You must know that I'm not that idiotic."

Hades doesn't reply. His eyes glaze over as he draws further into himself; but not before he makes eye contact with me for a brief, waver of a second.

Evie?

Hades? What's wrong?

Evie, what I'm about to say... Hades hesitates, and his gaze lowers, almost like he's ashamed of what he's about to say. Do not take it to heart. I do not mean it.

What? My brow furrows slightly. Hades, what does that mean?

Hades closes his eyes, cutting off his mind with the same movement.

Poseidon tuts, completely unaware of our telepathic conversation. "Dear brother, are you really willing to sacrifice the life of your queen for humanity? That's cold, even for you."

"Yes, Poseidon. I am." Hades replies detachedly. "Evie does not mean enough to me to jeopardise all of humanity."

I stare at him, my heart dropping through the floor. Then it hits me. Oh. That's what he meant.

"Oh, be careful Hades, you'll break the poor girl's heart if you throw those words around so nonchalantly." Poseidon chuckles, mistaking the drop in my expression as genuine hurt. He pinches my cheeks. "Look at this sweet, little upset face. How can you not care about this face?"

"I don't."

I stare at Hades and resist the urge to scowl at him, instead twisting my face up into what I hope is a mask of heartbreak. I throw him a bitter remark over our telepathic link.