Chapter 5

CHAPTER 5  

The mansion seemed cold and lonely as Mac strode through the massive oak double doors.  The lights automatically had come on once he had entered the main gate and the heating system kept the room and a cozy 69 degree’s but the large building was empty of life even with the miniature drones buzzing quietly around the room.  The mission had been a success and with any luck Ghost would let him into the loop on what was really going on.  Mac just had to be patient and keep his eyes open.  He wandered into the kitchen to make himself something to eat. 

He was starving after leaving the delicious looking burger on his plate uneaten back at Famous Joes.  Who or whatever those men had been had left a bad taste in Mac’s mouth and a queasiness in his belly.

As Mac entered the kitchen he sensed a change in the air, a hint of something that had not been there before.  He reached into his jacket for the 9mm Glock he carried and pulled it out even as he lowered himself against the wall.  His senses were on high alert, waiting for his brain to catch up and tell him what was wrong.  Something in the air, a scent he thought.

Mac gave the air a cautious sniff, trying to place the scent. 

“Daisies,” he breathed in a whisper. 

He could smell the fresh clean scent of daisies.  It was so faint and subtle he didn’t know how he had noticed it, but he did.  And it was definitely out of place.  Mac moved forward into the room scanning for anything else out of the ordinary.  He sniffed again, the scent was stronger now... much stronger.

“You got a cold Mac?”  A soft voice breathed in his ear.

Mac spun around leading the way with a heavy elbow and bringing his gun to bear at the voice that had spoken behind him.  But there was nothing there.

“Damn you move fast for a big man,”  a female voice said again, behind him.

Mac rolled away from the voice this time and came up to his knees with the pistol gripped in both hands looking for a target.

“Mac,” the girl’s voice said again.  “Ghost sent me, you can put the gun down.”

Mac looked around the room but still could not find the woman.  He shrugged, knowing he was beaten in this little mystery and tucked his gun back in his holster.

“Ah, much better.  I didn’t mean to startle you Mac.  Ghost wanted me to come by and introduce myself and show you a few things.”

“Look lady, why don’t you come out of the shadows so I can get a look at you?”

“Shadows?”  The voice giggled.  “Look up Mac.”

Mac raised his eyes to the spot just over his head and found a green pair of eyes looking back at him.  The small woman standing on the ceiling gave him a dazzling smile before winking at him and patting him on the head.

“You have been up there the whole time I take it?”  Mac asked trying to keep the frown from his face.

The green eyed girl with spiking brown hair nodded and put her hands on his shoulders.  With cat like grace she dropped from the ceiling and landed before him.

“My name is Jewels,” the woman said as she offered a black gloved hand to him.  Mac looked down at the gloved hand she held before her and saw that it had thousands of soft hairs covering the surface.

Mac could do nothing but smile at the beautiful vision before him.  She was short but strong and lithe.  Energetic and bubbly but at the same time Mac could sense her withdrawing into the corners of the room before he could even say a word.