Diary of a Slave (6)

Hey! it's me, Natasha. I've finished the next upload and I would like to tell u all that this story will be completely different to my original. The beginning is the same but the ending is completely different and this story will be longer, hopefully at least 20 chapters.

Don't forget to vote, comment and fan. I know you all hate this, but I will only upload when I reach 10 votes and 4 comments. Now, that is not very much so get voting and commenting! I made it extra long and descriptive for u guys :)

My daydream was abruptly shattered by loud noises from outside. First, a shattering noise, a cry, then very loud banging and ear-splitting screams. We all rushed out and I saw my roommate, Jessie being beaten with a whip by Egghead.  Her back was a bloody mess of torn skin and her crisp white shirt was now red. The brightness of the blood brought me to reality. What had she done that was so bad?

Then, I saw Sasha behind them sweeping up some broken glass with a dustpan and broom. It hit me now that Jessie must have dropped some glass utensil and broken it, that’s why they were beating her. The senselessness and cruelty of it shook me. Suddenly, my body seemed to be moving without myself realising. I rushed at Egghead and jumped in the way of the whip. Time seemed to slow as the whip came down; Egghead’s face an ugly, distorted mask of fury.

I had the feeling I wouldn’t survive this one.

CRACK! went the whip across my back. The sharp sting nearly broke me and I fell to my knees. The pain was like no other and I almost blacked out. Although it couldn’t compare to the pain of the branding, this was really torturous. Those twisted bastards!

He raised the whip again. I didn’t like the look of murder on his face. Anticipating the next blow, which would surely cause me to fall to the ground unconscious, I closed my eyes and braised myself for…nothing.

Wondering what happened, I opened one eye and looked behind me and saw that Bun had stopped Egghead from hitting me. She was speaking to him in English so I couldn’t make heads or tails of it, well except the word ‘slave’, which seemed to be cropping up a lot. While they were arguing, Sasha came and helped me up. As I stood up, the world spun and I almost slumped to the floor but another slave caught me just in time. Together, they helped me walk. With my arms on their shoulders, I could just about drag my feet but I had a splitting headache and felt as if I would pass out anytime, not to mention the excruciating backache.

“Where…” I barely managed a whisper. “Where are you taking me?”

Sasha replied, “To the infirmary.”

I laughed to myself, not being able to imagine this hell having a sick bay. Then, my exhausted mind lapsed into unconsciousness as my legs gave out beneath me.

+++

The world is made up of shifting colours and shapes; like a kaleidoscope. I’m on a mountaintop, and the world is my playground. Staring across the vast beauty of the land stretching before my eyes, I know I must be on Earth before it was ruined by human civilisation.

To my left, I see the tallest tree in the world, its uppermost branches stretching into the stormy depths of space. And in its leafy canopy, what else could be resting there but a…

“Treehouse!” I exclaimed, running towards it. My father had built one for me when I was younger but it got burned down that fateful day.

I climbed the rungs, wanting to explore. Climbing for what seemed an eternity, I seemed to be no closer to the top. Sweating and sighing, I stop for a rest. And that is when I hear my name being called. By 3 people in fact.

I looked down and saw my parents and sister calling out to me. “Come down,” they said. “Come to us and we can be a family again.”

Enraptured to see them, I rush down. But I am stopped by a different voice saying my name in a fervent plea. “Zahra, don’t leave me. Please climb up and stay with me.”