Chapter 5: Whateva Ya Say

The next day, everyone went to Tibby’s again. Denton had something to show them. I was sitting at a table with Jack, Spot, David, and Race. They were all laughing and joking about the brawl at the news stand.

                “So what made ya change ya mind, Spot?” Jack said, “I really thought ya wasn’t gonna join us for a minute there.”

                “Well, ya got one overachievin’ sister,” Spot joked.

                Jack looked at me. I shrugged. I saw the look of anger in his eyes, but no one else did. I took a sip of my drink and looked away from him. Jack was overprotective of me. Probably because he didn’t have anything else to worry about. But I knew how to take care of myself. And I knew what he thought about Spot, about Brooklyn. It wasn’t any different than what every other newsie thought about Brooklyn and Spot. But I wasn’t a newsie. Just then, Denton walked in with a newspaper in his hand. He said hi to all the boys and put the newspaper in front of Jack. I looked over Jack’s shoulder as all the others came to gather around him. There was the picture of the boys at the brawl on the front page with the headline above it “Newsies Stop The World”.

                “Hey, look at ya, Jack, you look like a gentleman!” Mush joked pointing at Jack’s picture in the paper.

                “Will ya please get ya fingers off my face?” Jack said pushing Mush back.

                “Where does it say my name? Where's my name?” Spot shouted.

                “Would ya quit thinkin' about yourself?”

                “So ya get ya picture in the paps, so what?” Kid Blink stated.

                All the boys started to shout at him. “Ya been in a bad mood all day!” Jack shouted.

                “Glum and dumb,” Race said hitting Kid Blink over the head, “Ya get ya picture in the the paps, ya famous. Ya famous, ya get anything ya want. That’s what’s so great about New York.”

                All the guys cheered. (If you’ve seen the real movie, this is where they sing the song ‘King of New York’ in the diner. I’m not going to write the song so this next part happens after that.)

            After all the commotion died down, Denton started talking to Jack and David about keeping their names in the papers. I sat there with my glass just marveling at all the excitement in the room. Spot came over to me and pulled up a chair. I took another sip of my drink.

                “How come you ain’t over there?” I asked Spot, “Ain’t Spot Conlon ‘the key’ to them winnin’ this strike?”

                “I don’t know nothin’ about makin’ no paps,” Spot said, “I only knows how to sell ‘em. As you can see, I ain’t doin’ much a that either these days.”

                “Ain’t that your own fault? Ya didn’t have ta join the newsies.”

                “Ya didn’t make it easy for me ta say no.”

                “Who said ya had to listen to me?” Spot shook his head. I kept talking. “Ya know why ya listened to me?”

                “Enlighten me.”

                “Ya listened to me cause ya like me.”

                “I don’t like no one. Like I said, I takes care of me self.”

                “Ya don’t even know ya self, Newsie.”

                I got up and walked away. Spot followed me and grabbed my arm turning me around. I looked him in the eyes. They were as pale as ice, but they were very pretty. He looked oddly nervous about something. I was waiting for him to say something; he still had a grip on my arm.

                “Ya think ya can meet me at the harbor tonight?” he asked, “There’s somethin’ I gotta show ya.”

                “I thought you didn’t like no one,” I commented.

                Spot shook his head again, put his hat on and walked out the door. I walked over to Jack. He looked down at me with a suspicious glare. I raised my eyebrow at him.

                “What’s ya problem?” I said.

                “What was you and Spot talkin’ about?” he asked.

                “Nothin’. I can’t talk to no one wit out you bein’ there?”

                “I didn’t say that. It’s just…I knows Spot alright. I been known him for years. I know what he’s capable of and he don’t feel nothin’ for no one, not even his newsies that would do anythin’ for him. I just don’t wanna see ya get hurt, alright?”

                “I know how to take care of myself, Jack.”

                “I know that, but I gotta take care of ya too, Les. Just watch for yourself around Spot, alright?”

                “Whateva ya say, Jack. Whateva ya say.”