Chapter 1: The River

Running through the forest, I feel the wind at my back. I know that eventually the fear will engulf my entire body, but I feel as if I can run forever. If I keep running, than maybe the fear will stay away, or I will just run forever, and ever, never ending this awful nightmare.

     Why can't everything be the same as it was? Why does this have to happen? I am not strong enough to do this, or suffer through all of this pain, but yet somehow I manage to stay here, and not disappear. That is what I want to do. Just disappear from all of this, and never have to face any of this again. Maybe I will. Maybe I'll just stop being a part of this world, somehow, someway, force myself into my own mind, and create a new perfect world, where everything is returned to its' peaceful order and things will return back to what they were before this.

------------------------------------   4 Years Ago ----------------------------------------------------

      Every morning I ventured into the forest. Just me. I loved running along the dirt trail that winded itself through the messy, brush covered forest. I did it so I could see the river. I wanted to see that Grand Yuesing river, and I loved to see it at its' peak. I guess that I loved to see the river wind (W-Y-N-DE) throughout the forest, and rush at the fastest it ever did.

    When I saw the river in the distance I sped up. I felt invulnerable. It felt like there was nothing between me and the river itself, and I couldn't wait to get next to the river.      

     I had always fantasized about swimming in the river, but I had never gotten up the nerve to do it. First off, I didn't even own a pair of swimming trunks. I wanted a pair, but I didn't have one and my parents neither one had the money to get me a pair. Therefore, I had never been swimming. It seemed so scary, but yet it seemed like something that I longed to do for as long as I remember the river. 

     I stopped in my tracks as I approached the river. I stared in awe at the amazing beast before me. It was magnificent. She was magnificent. A sound formed in my head as each wave crashed against every rock in the river. With each crash thousands of fish scattered away in fear, but returned soon only to be scared by another crash. The small beach downstream was covered in water, but the water quickly receded to reveal a bronze beach. The sopped sand glistened as the sunlight shined on it, created a glow that made the river look even mightier. 

      The feeling that compeled me to want to swim in the river overtook my body once again. I felt like climbing into the river and just swimming my heart away in there, but I was afraid of something. I wasn't for sure what it was, except it was something very strong, a strong feeling that made me stop in my tracks.

     My phone rang and the screen read "Mom".

"Hello?" 

"Jakob, where are you? I have been looking for you for over an hour and you haven't been anywhere around. I have to leave and head to town for some groceries. Do you need anything?" Mom was a lady who always talked in such a hurry it wasn't funny. Everything she said she mad it seem like it was the most important thing to be said and that it had to be said very quickly.

"No mom. I think I am okay. Have fun," I replied quickly.

"I won't be home until after 9. Be good. No parties!"

"You know that won't be a problem mom. Bye."

"Bye sweetie."

Mom leaving meant that I was going to have the entire house to myself. I kinda wanted to go home and enjoy sitting by myself in my house, but on the opposite hand I really didn't want to leave the river. I just enjoyed its' beauty so much, I didn't wanna leave it.

I  thought about it and figured that I would go spend some time at home and then I would come back later as long as I felt up to the journey. I was in no hurry to get home though so I took my time walking back. Along the way back, I found a small covered dirt trail of which I had never noticed before. Probably because I was always running there to the river in a hurry or running home because my mom wanted me home for something.

Something inside of me told me to go on home. Today wasn't a good day to travel the trail, but I really was curious about what was down the trail. I decided to take the trail and see where it led me. I started down the trail. It was quite small. Very tight, but it looked as if something or someone had recently been down here. There were knocked over weeks and brush that was cracked and smashed flat. Something was this way, I just didn't know what.

I took another step and I heard a noise. A loud noise. Something was flying. Just then, out of nowhere, a black mass flew towards me. I didn't know what it was but I knew that I needed to run. I turned and ran. The trail felt so much longer on the way back to the main path. The black mass was gaining on me. 

The opening wasn't too far ahead. I could see it, but would I make it. Then, my foot caught something. I tripped and fell....