Chemically Platonic (11) Lessons to Teach

With my shoes on and tied for the second time today; I was prepared to leave. It was getting late and soon my parents would be worried about me. Being the seventh child meant that my parents had gotten very lenient with rules and punishments. I rarely had rules to follow. The only staple in my house was to let my parents know where I was and if I was coming home.

I stood by the door patiently waiting for Sam to lace up his runners. Finally, we headed out.

There was a gentle spring breeze blowing through the streets. The night sky was pitch black; our path illuminated by street lamps and lit houses of night howls. There was a comforting silence besides the slap of our feet against the pavement as we headed towards my house.

I couldn't help but remember the silent walk we had done after the party, our first official/unofficial date. Sam had been so upset after we went skinny dipping. He couldn't handle the idea of everyone staring at him, although that only postponed to when Amber's rumors construed out of proportion.

Last time was awkward and creepy, whereas this time I felt content with the pair of us brushing shoulders and kicking rocks.

"So was it as bad as you thought it would be?" Sam asked in a hushed tone. Again he seemed so worried and troubled about my response.

"It was absolutely terrible to kick your asses at that game," I laughed grabbing onto his forearm. I felt him tense than relax to my touch. "Really. It takes a lot out of me to demolish the board like that," I boasted.

"You know you lost the second round right?" Surprisingly enough he was encouraging our banter.

"Doesn't matter because I won in the first place," I stated as our footsteps finally decided to sync with each other. Just remembering how I destroyed everyone made my mood increase. Victories were always remembered.

"Maybe that's because I went easy on you the first time..." his words trailed off as he looked away from me.

"No way," I shouted pulling him by his collar towards me. He struggled to get away but I pulled him in closer. Laughter erupted from him his chest, spilling out into the night.

"You're kidding right?" I shouted again ignoring the fact that most people were trying to sleep by this time.

"Maybe," he mumbled giving me a devious look.

"No way." I was standing my ground bewildered at the thought that Sam would have the nerve to let me win at anything. I was always a firm believer that if you didn't win the right way than you didn't really win at all.

"Rematch," I declared sending my elbow into his side playfully.

"Maybe next weekend," he said grabbing my shoulder and pulling me closely.

The warmth from his sweater was drawing me in. I leaned into him as we walked together, his arm still slouched across my back, his fingertips gripping my shoulder. Again he tensed up.