Chapter 2

GINA SHERMAN-

We were in the mall, and we had just finished shopping for Dan’s clothes. He didn’t pick much actually, just a pair of Converses, a couple of jeans from Lee and a few shirts from a couple of random shops. We were aimless trudging past all the shops when Dan suddenly grabbed my arm and started dragging me somewhere.

“Dan, you idiot. Where do you think you’re taking me?”

“To McDonalds. You owe me lunch remember?”

Oh shit.

“Yeah, I remember, but I want to get those jeans from Levi’s, and I saw this most awesomest top in one of those stores that they had this big end of the season sale going on in. What if somebody gets it before I?” I feigned horror and fell over Dan’s shoulder.

He knocked my head twice and pushed me away, and I rewarded him with a fit of giggles. “Gene, no. Lunch first, End of season sale with a whopping discount, next. And don’t forget that it’s your birthday in a week. You’re turning 17.”

“So what, Dan? It’s not like the world is going to fall at my feet cause I’m turning 17.” I shrugged nonchalantly.

“I’m telling you that if you be a good girl and buy me lunch, I’ll get you that Prada dress you’ve been drooling over for so many months now, for your birthday.”

“No kidding.”

“Exactly. I’m starving. If you don’t buy me lunch in 10 seconds, I’m eating you up.”

“I wouldn’t want that. Ew.” I laughed and slid my arm through his. “Now let’s finish buying you that  lunch and then you can carry my bags around.” I winked at him.

“Good, let’s go.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“I want to do something to welcome the senior year. Like, throw a party or something!” I exclaimed, almost knocking down Dan, who was buried inside my shopping bags. I started walking backwards, eyes wide open, imagining a pool party and myself in that new bikini I had bought yesterday, on the Weekly Sunday Sale. The idea was irresistible.

“Come on, Dan it’s going to be great! Not like Lee and Jane are going to have a problem with it! And it gives you an excuse to cuddle up with Camryn, too.” I wiggled my eyebrows suggestively at him, making him go red in the face.

He hesitated and placed the bags down on the floor. “Well, I don’t really know…” he spoke, his voice trailing doubtfully.

“Well, if you aren’t sure then you’re not going to consent, if I’m right.”

“After all these years, you never know when I’m faking it and when it’s real, do you?” he laughed and got up. “Of course it’s on, you bum. Oh I know what you’ll do next, you’ll start squealing and whining about how much I tease you.” He stuck out his tongue and got up to hug me. “Go ahead, send the texts already.”