Chapter II.

I hopped into bed more than ready for a good night's sleep. Nailing my interview tomorrow was a must, so I forcefully tried to my shut my brain from replaying tonight's events, and enjoy a sound rest.

The early sun didn't tardy in rising, and before I knew it, I was already rushing to the bathroom. After I finished my daily ritual, which consisted of washing my face and brushing my teeth, I stood paralyzed in front of my closet trying to decide what to wear. It definitely had to be something professional, but it wouldn't hurt if I looked beautiful as well.

Finally after a couple of internal debates, I chose to go with a complementing light pink shirt, a black body-fit smart pants which I paired with my black stilettos.

I decided to pull my hair into a loose bun. As for my make up, I didn't overdo it. I just stuck with my usual thin layer of eyeliner, some blush and a hint of lipstick.

Finally satisfied with my reflection, I grabbed my briefcase and headed out of the house.

I stood in front of the huge glass and steel building. Halls Industries was the most important publishing company there is.

I let out a little extra air and challenged my feet to take me inside. God, even the exterior of the building looked intimidating. In there, flocks of suited people swirled around, and I felt, to some extent, relieved to fit in.

I headed towards the reception desk. Suddenly, a tiny redhead popped from behind the desk beaming at me with a huge smile. I couldn't help but return the gesture.

-"Good morning, I have an interview with Mr. Halls. Katelyn Mathers." I said trying to summon some courage.

-"Oh yes, take one of the elevators on the left and go to the 40th floor. That's where his office is."

I nodded my thank you and dashed to the elevators. Inside, I found myself alone. The ride took quite some time, but I ended up finally arriving. The steel doors parted, and I could see yet another desk. Probably his assistant's. She fastly stood on her feet and greeted me. Why is everyone so sweet in this forsaken place?

-"You must be Katelyn Mathers," she stated more than asked.

-"Yes," I replied trying my best not to sound cold and smug.

-"Mister Halls has been expecting you. You should probably get this interview started. This way please," and she led me through the hallway into what must have been his office. She placed her hand on the doorknob ready to open it, and my heart sunk down to my stomach, but then she retracted her hand and looked at me apologetically.

-"Sorry about the noise; we're installing a new security system."

Only after her revelation, did I hear the noise around me.

I smiled her way and told her the truth, "oh, it's alright; I barely noticed it."

The wooden doors divorced, and allowed me in. There, across the room, stood whom I assumed was Mr. Halls. His back was to me and his face looking out at the astonishing view New York had to offer in late autumn.

As soon as the doors found each other again, I heard a locking sound which I dismissed. At that particular moment it didn't seem worth stressing over. I had one very tall and lenient figure to worry about.

I opened my mouth to break the deafening silence that was becoming a little bit uncomfortable, but he beat me to it, still not facing me.

-"Ms. Katelyn Mathers. Take a seat."

I looked around scanning the huge office, and decided to settle in one of the burgundy leather armchairs, next to the overpowering mahogany desk. The interior was modern and stylish.