Chapter I.

-"Kate!" My best friend squealed through the phone. I winced at her high pitched voice, not getting her excitement.

-"Would you please stop screaming? I swear dogs could hear you right now." Marianne laughed also loudly puncturing my earbuds

-"Katelyn Jamie Mathers, tonight we celebrate," she beamed all rifled up and thrilled. I instantly opened my mouth to speak but was expectedly interrupted again.

-"Chris asked me to move in!" I smiled to myself equally excited for her and Chris. Those two were the closest to me. When you live in New York and attend university you don't really have time to make new friends or do anything for that matter.

-"I'm so happy for you two," I replied truthfully.

-"We're meeting tonight at that new club down- town. I'm very much planning on abusing the extraordinary liquor they claim to serve." I rolled my eyes playfully at her even though she couldn't see. So typical.

-"Well I wouldn't be too surprised; however, I'm going to have to pass on getting drunk. I finally got a job interview at Halls Industries"

-"Kate! Why didn't you tell me? Another reason to celebrate."

I didn't ponder on the thought much before I bid her goodbye and strutted into my bedroom. Getting ready to go out was my favorite part of the process. That time you get just for yourself. After I enjoyed my long bath, I wondered in my bedroom content with the lavender scent that covered my body. Surprisingly, in less than five minutes, I had chosen what I was going to wear.

I had settled on a green emerald dress which complimented my naturally tan skin, lightened the reflection in my dark green eyes and amplified the rich chocolate color of my tall curls. The dress was sexy but conservative at the same time. I paired it with my leather heels and jacket.

I gave myself one last look in the mirror and was completely satisfied.

I wasn't very tall and didn't have that insanely thin waist; however, I had the right amount of curves in the right places- and full breasts. I couldn't complain about my face; I did without question have decent features with my perfect nose, heart shaped lips and even high cheekbones, but my eyes, those I wasn't very fond of no matter how much people tried to convince me otherwise.

I waited in the lobby while Jacob, the doorman, hailed me a taxi. I did not have a car, at least not yet, since all of my savings vanished once I bought my dear, ratherly large apartment. I couldn't have done it without the help of my parents whom I didn't see much because of the distance, but that did not keep us from speaking regularly.

The ride down-town was dull and quiet, which gave my head the permission of getting tied up in its own thoughts. All of a sudden anguish and nervousness came over me as I thought about my interview tomorrow. I frowned; I wasn't going to let fear seep into me. I was sure about my abilities and confident- plus tonight was about exploring what's new and the excitement that it held.

After I paid off the nice cab driver, I stood mesmerized at the sight in front of me. Damn! Marianne must be one amazing negotiator for scoring us a place in this club.

When I walked in, the sting of alcohol lingering in the air hit me hard. The strong bass and loud music vibrated through my body harshly all the while pounding in my head. As I stared blankly at the immense yet crowded interior, a nice little hostess led me to our reserved cubicle. I sat down, waiting for my friends to show up, while feeling slightly annoyed with the unfamiliarity.

My eyes landed on a heavenly sight, he looked like a God in a suit. Well, to be more exact he was a sex God in a suit. Hell! Even that did not do him justice. I couldn't help but stare; I tried to tilt my head but to no avail, my eyes kept darting back at him unwillingly. My lingering gaze was suddenly interrupted and a bright blush crept on my cheeks. Jesus Christ! Did he really just catch me staring at him?