Chapter 6

^ <3 Just cause :D (He doesn't have the eyes though... D:)

Chapter 6:

After three hours in the library, I had made no progress on neither the ancient book nor my essay.

"How do people study in the library?" I muttered to myself. "How do they not get sidetracked by all these wonderful books?"

Shaking my head ruefully, I tore a small slip of paper, slipping it in the book I was reading to save the page. After musing over The Book of Frustrations, I was in no mood to start on my essay and instead had decided to explore the wonderful worlds books had to offer.

I packed my bag again, shoving everything inside and stood up, heaving the heavy bag onto my shoulders while cursing and groaning.

In one synchronized motion, the people around me turned to glare at me with their finger on their lips. "Shhhh!"

"Sorry, sorry," I mumbled in apology, before tiptoeing to the front desk.

The librarian raised an eyebrow at my choice of a fantasy―maybe slightly childish―book, but what can I say? Aren't books, all types of books, meant to be enjoyed by everyone?

Clutching my book to my chest, I exited the library, eager to read it while curled up in bed. Out of the corner of my eye, I say a group of people in cloaks huddled together near the entrance of an alley. Curious, I craned my neck for a better view.

Slowly, one of the hooded figures turned to face me, and I gasped. Underneath the darkness of his hood, one venomously green and one blood red glowed demonically. The mysterious figure tilted its head back slightly, letting a miniscule amount of sunlight reveal its mouth. Lips lifted into a deranged grin, and upon seeing its teeth, I slapped my hand over my mouth to stifle a scream and stumbled back. Its teeth were all sharpened to points that looked sharper than a shark's teeth. However, as soon as I blinked, the figures disappeared, as if I had imagined it all.

Anxious to be in the safety of my apartment, I quickened my pace, speeding up into a slight jog. I couldn't help but feel as if a large predator was slowly closing in on me. Up ahead, I spied a short cut through a shady alley. I skidded to a stop at the entrance to the alley, hopping from one foot to the other and debating whether it would be worth risking the the alley to reach my apartment sooner. The prickling sensation on the back of my neck and a whisper of a laugh in my ears made the decision for me.

I sprinted through the alley as quickly as I could, passing by a homeless man who was asleep next to a garbage can. Feeling panicky and breathless, I didn't stop, dodging stray boxes and leaping over spare trash like a damn Olympic athlete.

Suddenly, an arm appeared out of nowhere, jerking me to a stop. Surprised, I tripped, my heavy bag dragging me down, and I slammed to the ground.

"Giv' me yer money," the man who stopped me slurred. "I promiz ter pay ye back."

"I-I," I stuttered, eyeing the glass bottle the man held in his hand."

"C'mon, I need ther money!" the man yelled, becoming angry. "I need ter buy me more of ther happy juice."

"I don't have any money," I protested.

"Liar! You f*cking liar!" screamed the man, waving his arms around.

The glass bottle struck the wall next to me, shattering and becoming jagged on one end. The man raised the glass bottle, about to strike, and I let out a piercing scream, attempting to scramble to my feet.

"Shad up!" the man growled.

I closed my eyes and whimpered, waiting for the impact. There was nothing, but the sound of bones breaking. The man let out a scream. Opening my eyes, I saw the drunken man slumped against the wall, his arm twisted at an awkward angle. It was a disturbing sight.

"Are you okay?"

I turned to my right to see gorgeous turquoise eyes peaking out from a gray hoodie.

"Eon!" I gasped in relief.

Completely forgetting myself, I threw myself into his arms. Eon grunted in surprise.

"I-I, h-he..... Oh my god!" I babbled, holding on to him for dear life.

"It's okay," Eon soothed, awkwardly trying to comfort me as I clung to him like a monkey. "Let's get you home okay?"

I nodded, embarrassed and reluctantly letting him go.

"After you milady," he winked.

I gave a soft laugh as he placed his hand on my back and gently steered me out of the dark alley into bright sunlight.

***

I'm sorry, that I have been MIA for so long. I'm not purposefully neglecting this story, I promise! It's just that the SAT is changing and I really need to squeeze in and take the old SAT. So that is what has been taking over my life recently...

Also, sorry for not really saying, but this story is going to have some profanities in it. If you are uncomfortable with that, this is probably not the book for you...

Anyways! I love you guys for being really patient with me, and I hope that you will continue to do so! I know this chapter was pretty short and I'm sorry! My schedule is not set until after the very last old SAT test, but I promise you that I am trying my best to write new chapters. Maybe you would prefer short chapters instead?

I don't know, I'm just tired and it is getting late, but I didn't want to just leave this story to collect dust if you know what I mean.

Again, thank you guys so much! I know that I may not be the best writer and I fail at keeping constant updates, but I ask you guys to just stick with me!

I really, really love you guys!

~A Very Tired Thesmallthingsinlife