Chapter Nineteen

When I awoke in the morning, there was a warm musky smell lingering around me that told me August had not long left my side but he was no longer here now. I expected a note or something but there was nothing. I headed to the dining room for breakfast but when there was only the butler there, quietly preparing food, I slipped away, retrieved some clothes and left.

I only go to the shops where I get them some more food but when I pull out my credit card I realise I can't use it or Robert will track me down in less than a minute. I use the remainder of cash that I usually carry around before heading to the park for a walk, to release some energy and think everything through.

At some point there was a group of guards sweeping the area and I became extremely grateful for the shades and scarf I had on that was concealing my features. One took a close look at me but I smiled and moved on causing no suspicion. However it was after that, that I decided it would be smart if I headed back to August's place.

When I get through the front door, all hell breaks loose.

"Where on earth have you been?" August exclaims, looking as red as a tomato and very flustered.

"Just to the town." I reply casually as I place the groceries on the floor and pull the scarf from around my head.

"Just. To. The. Town." August says slowly. "Just. To. The. T-"

"Yes! We needed food, I got food! I needed a walk, I went for a walk!" I cry over him. " What are you, my mum?"

"Obviously not, but being informed that you were leaving would have been nice!" He cries.

"I tried to! You weren't there when I woke up or anywhere for that fact." I cry back throwing the scarf over the railings of the stairs harshly. It only gracefully sinks down onto the wood but I feel a little better for releasing bait of anger.

The butler walks out from a room to where we are, takes one look at us and then turns back around disappearing.

We ignore him and continue. "I was just taking a shower." August explains, sagging a little in posture.

"I'll leave a note or something next time." I compromise, taking off the shades and carrying them as I begin to head upstairs. "Sorry." I add begrudgingly. I hadn't meant to worry him.

"Willow?" He calls up after me. "I'm sorry, too."

*****

When I reappear after sulking in my room an hour later, August is yet again no where to be seen. I find the butler lurking around the place, but not cleaning. It seems August liked to do that and I find my heart swelling with pride at how humble he is.

"Looking for Sir, ma'am?" The butler asks curtly.

I nod, not really wanting to talk to him after what he did yesterday.

"He's gone out for a moment and told me to tell you. There was some suspicious activity out the front of the house." He says, void of emotion but my heart rate spikes. Is August in danger? Why didn't he tell me? I'm the one with the agent skills!

"When?" I demand to know, running for my shoes and scarf to cover my head.

"Almost instantly after you got in from shopping." He replies and I groan at myself. If I hadn't been grumpy, I could be with him right now. What is worse is, it sounds like whoever is here most probably followed me back. "Ma'am?"

I pause, one leg in the air as I was throwing on a boot.

"I want to apologise for yesterday, I don't know what came over me."