Surprise, Surprise.

**FOUR YEARS LATER**

"She was born with a hurricane for a soul, that one" Mrs. Kerrigan heaved. It was something she said often when I dropped Iris to daycare. Iris was already running off, and I stood on my toes to check where she was headed. Sighing, I realized she was already out of sight.

Mrs. Kerrigan always described her as a somewhat frenetic child, but she would say it in that loving way, with a soft glow in her eyes, that only a mother could have for such a difficult offspring.

Even I had my moments with Iris, where I'd let myself cry and wonder how I'd be able to deal with her all alone.

I would rock her in the dead of night when she found it impossible to sleep and would have to wear her all day long in a baby carrier so that she would be calmed by the body to body contact. When nothing else seemed to work, I'd keep trying to sooth her with lullaby's and stroke her tiny back and soft hair, whispering sweet things in her ears and covering her with kisses.

It was challenging and painful at first, being lonely and broke, with a tiny baby in my hands that wouldn't stop crying.

Now, after four years of being a single mom, I'd learned that I would just have to love the hurricane right out of my child and replace it with a sweet summer breeze. Because above all, she was my baby, and we both had no one in this world except each other.

"I'll be here at five, Mrs. Kerrigan" I said, chipping in my pin on the debit machine.

Funny how just a couple years ago I'd never have to check my bank balance or whine about over-time. And now, watching Mrs. Kerrigan tear the receipt and hand it to me had my heart in a twist. I didn't know if I'd be able to make it to next week without draining my accounts.

"You take your time, dear" She smiled, "How's the promotion coming along?"

"I'll find out soon" I muttered, feeling a similar nervousness rise. I had exhausted myself for this, and was truly hoping I'd make it. It felt like Iris was growing taller everyday and her bills were only going to keep piling. We were already living paycheck to paycheck. With this promotion, I'd at least be able to make things a bit easier for a while.

"I'll pray for you. Not that you need it honey, you are so brave and hard-working. You deserve the best after everything you've been through." She softly purred, smiling at me encouragingly.

"Thank you, Margaret" I gratefully smiled back, placing my hand on hers.

I never met my own mother, but if I had to imagine her as a person, I think she would be like Mrs. Kerrigan. She had taken me under her wing, providing me with more help than anyone else in bringing up my daughter while maintaining a job.

"Now off you go! Don't start day-dreaming again" She playfully chastised, rushing me out the door. I realized I was already running late, and I couldn't afford a single mistake at work.

Rhys had gone out of his way to make sure I was top of the list of the people being considered for an about to be vacant post. I didn't want him to regret pitching for me.

Rhys was my manager, and he too had done a lot for me in the past few years.

Ever since I had started working for him, he made sure my working hours were as flexible as possible so that I could run in between having a job and taking care of a new born. He had also found us the cozy apartment we lived in right now, and signed the lease on my behalf. He stepped in now and again, through every difficult time, doing as much as he could to ensure Iris and I were safe.

When the bus came to a sudden halt, I realized I had zoned out on the entire bus ride to work. One of the many reasons I never got a car. I tended to get lost in my own thoughts a lot, and that kind of person had no business behind the wheel.