Desert World

Desert World

The world is covered in sand, the last of the human race is dug in, in little towns and villages, where the last of the good soil is collected and used. Humanity is near the verge of extinction, the last hope is to save up as much soil as they can and hope that they can survive with just that amount of soil.

Do to over use of the soil, less trees, and the constant sun beating down on the exposed earth, the top soil dried up and turned to sand. As well as overgrazing from farm animals, more cities/towns/villages being built, they took away trees and available soil. Making most of the earth a desert.

With no way to grow crops in the sand, humanity is starving itself to death. With only a few hundred people left, it will be even harder for them to repopulate the planet, and find a way to make do with the soil they already have, and eventually to plant in the vast desert.

Anyone who goes out into the desert magically disappears, like the many mirages that are seen from within the towns. No one knows where they go, or what happens, but everyone’s best guess is that they died of either heat stroke or dehydration. Rumours can’t circulate throughout different towns, but of course rumours can travel within a single town, and that’s where are story begins, with a two small rumours, both will have a great impact.

******

My lungs burned as I ran down the back alley of a store near my school. I knew I couldn’t run for much longer, but I had to, I had to keep running till I got home.

My school life had turned terrible with just one whisper of a word, one-two-many glances. Why did that one person had to notice? Why did they have to see all my glances, that I thought were more hidden? Why did they have to tell everyone in town? Why was I born gay? Only my parents actually knew, they accepted me for who I was, and I loved them for it. But now I was just another guy who everyone hated, there were tons of guys like me. They always got picked on for something that made them different, but even those guys were making fun of me, and shoving me around.

I was the most hated person in my town, just cause I was gay. I only knew of one other guy who was gay, he was a old guy who no one ever talked to. He was different, in more then one way, no one would ever go near him, not even to make fun of him. The whole town is scared about going near his place.

I hopped the fence and raced down the street, and strangely enough, I was running to his house. The small red house at the far end of town, where not even little kids would play. But I was going there! Why? I have no idea, my legs just ran for his house, maybe cause he was the only person like me in this town. It was sad that I had no one to relate to, not even in the slightest way.

I could hear the kids yelling profanity at me, it hurt so much. I used to be popular, I guess I still was, but in a bad way now.

I stepped up to his front door and without even knocking, I just slipped in. I could hear the kids talking on the other side of the door, it was only mumbles, but when I heard them leave, I relaxed. Well that was until I heard a low growl. Coming from deeper within the house.

I didn’t know he had a dog. Let alone I don’t even know his name.

“Who are you? And why are you here?” His burley voice rang from deep in his dwelling.

“I-I’m S-Seth,” I mumbled quietly.

“What are you doing here, Seth?” The man asked again.

“Seeking refuge,” his footsteps came close till I could see the outline of his body from within the shadows.

“Why?” He asked again.

“C-cause these guys a-at school are b-bullying me,” I could see him cross his arms.