The Benefits of Eavesdropping

I sat at the top of the bleachers, my usual spot during lunch. I glance over at Harry, picking at my sandwich. He was sharing a cigarette with Zayn. I think about how nice it would be to be that cigarette in between his lips. Too bad he's probably not gay.

"Put your boner away." Liam chuckles, scaring the shit out of me. My sandwich goes flying.

"Have you seen him?" I frown. He just shrugs, sitting down and scarfing down his lunch.

"Where's Niall?" I ask, sitting up and stealing some of his pringles.

"Lunch detention."

"Do I even want to know?" 

He laughs and shakes his head. I glance at Harry again, my heart skidding to a stop when I realize he was already staring at me. 

"Y'know... You've liked him for two years and you've never said a word to him."

I look away awkwardly and slump down in between two bleachers, hugging my knees to my chest. "Well he's probably the most intimidating person I've laid eyes on." I whined. "Ugh, but those curls!" 

"Lou-"

"And his eyes, Liam! They're so pretty. They're like sparkly emeralds. And he's just so tall. And don't even get me started about him shirtless-"

"Hey Liam." Zayn says behind me, his voice strained from trying not to laugh. I spin around and sure enough he's right there. And Harry's right next to him. And by the look on Liam's face, they've been there for a while.

"Hey Zayn," Liam says, "What's up?"

Dear god, I think, I'm going to die of humiliation. That's what's up.

"We still seeing that movie later?" Zayn asks.

"You bet!" Liam smiles that stupid cheeky smile while I'm about to explode.

I glance at Harry and I just want to evaporate. He's staring at me with that stupid dimpled smirk on his face.

"Wanna talk about who's paying for what?" Liam says, biting his lips and trying not to laugh at the panic on my face when he stands up.

"Sure."

They walk off and I pretend that I've lost something in my backpack.

"So." I freeze. His voice is suddenly a bit painful to hear. "Sparkly like emeralds?" 

I can feel my face getting hot. Don't you dare cry, I think to myself. I zip my backpack up and throw it over my shoulder. I turn around and he's right in front of me. I gulp and try to walk past him and he puts his hand on my chest to stop me. My eyes start to water and I stare at my feet awkwardly. 

"Louis? It's okay... Can you look at me?"

I peek at him through my lashes and he smiles that crooked smile at me. "Come to the movie with us, yeah?" 

I nod, unable to speak.

"Alright, see you tonight Lou." 

I watch him walk away and it feels like I'm watching an angel. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I groan and tear off the yellow shirt I tried on, throwing it into the mountain of other shirts that don't look good.

"You're over thinking it, Lou c'mon!" Liam sighs.

"Says you! You hang out with them every day. They're your best friends." He just rolls his eyes at me and walks into my closet, bringing back blue jeans, a white t-shirt, and my red suspenders.