Katherine

Chapter 1: Katherine

Saturday nights at The Beefeater Bar were always crazy but as I walked in, the bar was like a morgue. The Beefeater Bar was a small bar with a couple of black tables and chairs, a long granite bar with red stools, wooden walls and a black granite floor, and the walls were covered with photos of our customers and antiques Alex the owner found when he went to Staten Island. It might not have looked like much but I loved it here. "Hey, Jenna. What's up with this deary crowd?" I asked looking at everyone while I walked behind the bar. "I have no idea what's up with the crowd. Hey, can you pass the rag to me?" Jenna asked pointing to the rag on my left. The crowd grew over the course of 4 hours but it still had that deary feeling I felt when I walked in. "So is it always this deary on Saturday nights?" Some guy asked me while I placed his glass on the table. "Not always but for some reason it is tonight." I said. I shouldn't even bothered, the jerk didn't even tip me. "See you later Jenna." I said as I walked out in the parking lot to my car. I pulled my keys out of my pocket and went around the corner and passed the dumpster. The Beefeater Bar's parking lot was like a dark creepy alleyway where you could find drug dealers and rapists... scratch that The Beefeater Bar's parking is a dark creepy alleyway where you can find drug dealers and rapists. As I passed the dumpster, I saw a couple of guys in circle surrounding one guy. I stopped in my tracks and turned around to find a place to hide and found the dumpster. I squatted by the dumpster and watched and tried to listen to what they were saying. "George, we told you if you didn't get our 5 grad back, we would deal with you personally." One of the guys said who was super muscular and had tattoos up and down his arms."Please, please don't kill me." George begged and got on his knees. I gasped silently because "George" was my friend Melody's father. "We've given you a second chance to redeem yourself but you failed." The same guy with the tattoos said. "Get rid of him." A guy with dreadlocks came up to George, put the gun to his head, and pulled the trigger. The shot echoed through the parking lot. The guys left George on the concrete bleeding. I ran up to George to check if he was still alive. "George? Are you alive?" I asked frantically. I placed two fingers on his neck and found nothing. I tried to lift George's head off the filthy ground but I almost vomited. The back of George's head had been blown off and I could see inside his head. I took my jacket off and wrapped it around his head to stop the bleeding. I looked down at George and felt a pang of sadness and my eyes felt moist. George looked so sad with his green eyes empty, his eyebrows singed and the front of his brown hair was singed also, and he had this look of complete terror. Jenna walked out of the bar and saw George and I. "Katherine? What happened?" Jenna asked cautiously. "George was shot in the head....he's dead Jenna." I said trying to hold my tears in. Jenna screamed and called 911. The police came with the coroner to The Beefeater Bar's parking lot and I sat in the police officer's car and answered questions and waited until Melody called me about her dad. My phone rang and I looked to see who it was....Melody. "Melody?" I answered. Silence. "So is it true?" Melody asked. I knew what she meant and I knew she knew about George. "Yes it is." I answered. "Did it happen quickly?" Melody asked quietly. I didn't say anything because I didn't know what to tell her. "Yes." I finally said. Melody started to breathe quickly. "Mel-" I started but was quickly interrputed by Melody yelling, "WHY GOD???!! WHY???!! WHY CAN'T I BE HAPPY FOR ONCE???!! I HATE YOU GOD!!"and a lot of cussing. "I'm coming with my mom up there to the bar." Melody said after calming down for a little bit. "Are you sure?" I asked. "Yes, see you there." Melody said before hanging up. "Who was that?" Officer White asked. "My friend Melody, her dad is the person who was shot." I explained. "So, why did you wrap his head in your jacket? I mean, he was already dead why did you do that?" Officer White said leaning next to the police car looking down at me. Officer White was about 22 or so and had short, dirty blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes which seemed to be staring into my soul...man he was glorious. I found myself staring at him. "I wanted to give him some respect because I mean if I didn't wrap his head in my jacket, he'd be like, 'Awww man, the back of my head was blown off now everyone can see my business...This sucks!'" I answered finally. Officer White chuckled slightly. "You're funny." he said. "I do try.' I replied. Then I saw Melody's mom's car pull into the parking lot and instantly jumped from the backseat of the police car. Melody got out of the car and looked around at the flashing blue, white, and red lights and at all the cars. The coroner's assistant rolled by her with her dad's body on a gurney. Melody took one look and started to scream and unzip the bag but a couple of officers pulled her away. I ran across the lot and hugged her real tight against me. "This isn't fair Katherine. This isn't fair. This isn't fair." she repeated as I held her in a damp parking lot at 2:35 a.m. on Saturday with lots of cars and lights flashing as I tried to keep her from slipping away from me.