DAY 3:

Words for Mikey: Day 3

Transient: (n.) a person or thing that is transient, especially a temporary guest, boarder, laborer, or the like.

I feel more tired now than I did before I went to sleep. I think it's because I slept on and off waking up so often. It doesn't matter anyways, you're still in a coma and we still don't know if you'll ever be okay again. My mum was on the phone yesterday with a police officer. They were talking about the girl who found you and she showed up today. I want her to leave. What if you wake up and you don't love me anymore but her instead because she saved your life and I couldn't? What if you want to be with her instead? If you woke up I think I could let you go be with her if you wanted. As long as you're alive and happy you know? Or maybe I wouldn't and I'd do bad things and our roles in this situation would be switched. I tried apologizing to her but then I screwed up. And then Ash and Cal got a doctor to let us in for 5 minutes. God Mikey. Please just wake up. I'm not ready to lose you.

I love you,

Luke

Luke was exhausted. Sleeping had done nothing to refresh him and he felt as if he hadn't slept in a thousand years, but it was for Michael so of course he didn't mind.

Luke saw the police officer gently guiding the girl over to where they were seated with red puffy eyes, but his brain was stuck on Michael and nothing connected. Her skin was tan and he noticed she was incredibly short. Or perhaps he was incredibly tall. She dressed in black. Black pants Luke believed to be called leggings, a black shirt that had words he could not be bothered to read and an un-zipped black sweater.

Michael wore all black.

Tears escaped his eyes, but he continued to watch the girl. What was she doing here with a police officer? Her hair which hung in thick waves, was a deep chocolate brown, but he noticed she had highlights the colour of melted caramel.

"Hemmings?" the officer asked in a gruff voice that set Luke on edge.

Both he and Liz went to move, but Luke let his mum lead. He could feel Ashton and Calum moving to follow behind, but they left a few feet of space.

"Liz Hemmings," Liz told him. "And my son, Luke," she motioned to Luke and he half-heartedly wiped his eyes.

The girl didn't look at them. She gazed around the room timidly, she knew if she looked them in the eye she would break down again. These were the people that loved him. She thought. Luke was familiar, she remembers the officer saying he was the boys boyfriend. And Liz sounded right. She wasn't sure of the two behind them.

"This is Ashton, and Calum," Liz said. Each boy raised their hand at their name so the girl could differentiate them.

Luke was beyond confused. He wanted to go back to his chair where he could cry and wait for Michael to get better and wake up.

"Liz, this is the girl I spoke to you on the phone about," the officer began. "The one that found Michael,"

Luke bristled and his reflexes kicked in. Every time a doctor or police man mentioned Michael's name Luke couldn't resist. "Do you know anything?" he blurted. "About, about Michael?" it hurt so unbelievably bad to say his name aloud.

"No," the officer said glumly. "All I know is it doesn't look good,"

Luke had been holding it together for a long time. He hadn't screamed. He hadn't felt anger yet. It was just an overwhelming sadness. But right then he lost it.

"Everyone keeps saying that!" he shouted. "Are you all trying to tell me he's dying? Is that it? Because he isn't! He can't! He can't leave me here! He won't! He said he'd never leave me! Don't say that he's going to! Don't even say his name! You don't know him at all! You don't know how strong and how brave! You don't know anything! You don't know anything," Luke's voice broke and became a faint plea. Why was he shouting? Michael couldn't hear him. That was all he wanted. He wanted Michael to hear him and wake up. F*ck he just wanted to see Michael. He wanted to touch him. But they wouldn't let him in.