J.K Rowling

"Read a lot. Read anything you can get your hands on."

~

"No story lives unless someone wants to listen."

~

"I always advise children who ask me for tips on being a writer to read as much as they possibly can. Jane Austen gave a young friend the same advice, so I'm in good compagny."

~

"The idea of just wandering off to a cafe with a notebook and writing and seeing where that takes me for awhile is just bliss."

~

"It is impossible to live without failing at something unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not lived at all - in which case, you fail by default."

~

"I just write what I wanted to write. I write what amuse me. It's totally for myself."

~

"You have to resign yourself to the fact that you waste a lot of trees before you write anything you really like, and that's just the way it is."

~

"I have a real issue with anyone trying to protect children from their own imaginations."

~

"Anything's possible if you've got enough nerve."

~

"It's the books you read when you're young that stay with you always."

~

"Where's the fun without a bit of risk?"

~

"I'll be writing until I can't write anymore. It's a compulsion with me. I love writing."

~

"If you want life-long friendship and selfless camaraderie, join the army and learn to kill. If you want a lifetime of temporary alliances with peers who will glory in your every failure, write novels."

~

"I don't believe in the kind of magic in my books. But I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."

~

"Wherever I am, If I've got a book with me, I have a place I can go and be happy."

~

"There's always room for a story that can transport people to another place."

~

"Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it."

~

"The most important thing is to read as much as you can. Like I did. It will give you an understanding of what makes good writing and it will enlarge your vocabulary."

~

"I've been asked this question so many times, do you feel you need to write a book for adults? No, I don't need to write a book for adults."

~

"Be ruthless about protecting writing days, i.e., do not cave in to endless requests to have 'essential' and 'long overdue' meetings on those days."