Chapter 9 - Spilling your secret

---Ethan’s POV---

My eyes registered everything happening in front of me but my mind was on complete lock down; it couldn’t process the fact that a possible hybrid of unknown origin and species had just jumped in the middle of the fight and literally backhanded the dangerous ball of Hellfire.

Silence was heavily pressing down on my eardrums, as everyone grew quiet at the sight. The fear and adrenaline was still pumping from when I got Leo’s urgent call for help, combined with the sight of Lilith directly in that Demon’s line of fire…

I swallowed heavily and looked back at the lonely figure of Caitlin, who was standing in front of my daughter with her hands fanned out in front of her, palms facing the demons and her legs slightly bend at the knees.

One girl against six demons…what were the odds?

The demon that had first thrown the fire smirked, balling his fists tightly before he threw a new ball of fire towards Caitlin, who didn’t even flinch at the gesture but simply moved her hand under the ball and slapped it upwards. The explosion of black fire in the air strangely darkened the surroundings.

Caitlin kept a wary eye on her opponent as she lightly pushed Lilith away, pushing her more towards Leo and in my general direction. “Sir?” I barely glanced at the gathered crowd, Leo’s family and some of my vampire friends who had volunteered to live in my mansion, repaying me by defending it against potential intruders.

“Sir, what do you want us to do?” The vampire asked again, gaining a silent gaze as an answer. Brian, I believe it was, was still waiting for a reply so I simply shook my head and managed to cough out, “Wait it out. We can’t do anything against Hellfire but it seems she can.”

As if to emphasize my words, the demon pushed his hands in front of his body, producing a pillar of fire roaring down to my daughter and her protectors. Leo was still breathing, I could hear the pained pants from where I was standing but my attention was mainly based on Caitlin.

Instead of pushing the stream away, she offered another surprise as she thrust her fists forwards, producing a wall of fire of her own; the bright white with blue flames engulfed the black and roared closer to the demons, fading in an echoing roar before it could engulf them.

The demons let out a few startled shouts, all of them staring wide-eyed at the spot where Caitlin’s fire barely missed them until their heads snapped back up at her. The attacker was clenching his fists so harshly I could swear I heard the bones in his hands protest against the rough treatment.

Caitlin flicked her black and blue hair out of her face, never pulling her eyes away from the demons, especially the one in the middle of the group, who’s eyes were shining with a deep hunger now.

“My, this girl is full of surprises now isn’t she?” He drawled sarcastically as the demon that had been attacking Caitlin snarled from deep within his chest. Caitlin moved her bright green eyes on him for a second and said sternly, “Walk away Levi. Nobody needs to get hurt here.”

The man being addressed by Levi chuckled, more like barked in laughter and shook his head at the suggestion while his red-eyed friend snarled even deeper and eyed the others before his gaze fell on us.