Chapter 7

I was out of there as fast as I could.

I was sweating, my mind crumbling within my head. Why would Alex like me? I was nerdy, tom-boyish and was, well, the exact opposite of Jackie.

But I had to stop my panting when Molly stopped me. "Kristina?"

I swung around and forced a smile. "I just looked at the time. Have to get going or I'll be late for the funeral!" Well, at least that was truthful.

She gave me a suspicious look, a familiar one. I'd seen it every time Alex and I had pulled a prank on someone.

"I'll see you, Molly," I added, avoiding her gaze. She could see right through me. But the look on her face changed to a pained one, and she shut her eyes. I made my escape and drove off, my breathing starting up again.

There were several reasons I didn't believe this:

1) I was Kristina.

2) That had been written two months ago, during which he was dating Jackie.

3) All the girls he'd gone out with were the exact opposite of me. So why did he have a change of heart?

I pulled into the driveway, and shook it out my mind. I sat in the car for a moment to calm my breathing, and finally got out and made my way to the door. I opened it quietly, and I noticed him waiting for me.

"Where did you go?" Luke demanded, and narrowed my eyes.

"His house." Luke stumbled backward.  "Luke?"

He straightened back up and closed his eyes. "Luke, are you all right?" I asked again, stepping close to make sure he was okay. He surprised me by pulling me into a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry. I shouldn't have snapped. But I think I like Jackie and I just-"

"Shut up, Luke," I laughed. "It was my fault." I hugged him back, and he laughed.

----------------------------------------------------------

Goosebumps were up and down my arms, my legs and even my cheeks. My heart pounded as we drove to the church. Luke grasped my arm, and Mrs. Jones was constantly taking deep breaths.

The church was tiny, but very beautiful, and I recognized it as the church I had gone to every Sunday when I was younger. Inside I could see the windows, and the pews, and....his casket. There he lay, his face colorless and cold. I wrinkled my nose at the sight of the attempt to put makeup on him. He looked like he was wearing drag, but his face was so white it reminded me of chinese makeup.

"He looks just how we left him," Luke said with small laugh, coming up behind me.

"Do you think he's happy? Where he is now?" I asked, more to myself than Luke.

"Alex was happy wherever he went, wasn't he?"

"Always."

-------------------------------------------------------

The service was a blur. I didn't remember a single word that was said, mostly staring at the pink flowers on display. Lovely, weren't they?

"Kristina, it's time to go," Luke said, and I snapped back to reality. My eyes were blurry from focusing on those flowers, and I blinked a couple times.

"One sec," I replied, and trotted up to the vase to see who had sent the flowers.

Jackie.

I rolled my eyes, and hurried up to meet with the rest of the Jones. I pushed my way through the crowd, not in the mood to hear a million, "I'm sorry for your loss" and that crap. Luke followed me, and I slammed the door to the car behind  us.

"That was a nice service, wasn't it?" he asked thoughtfully.

"Sure," I said quietly. The burial was next.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I watched them lower down the casket into the hole and I frowned. We placed flowers on it and it was over. Over. Alex was officially gone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for supporting me guys! I'm going to give you a hint for the next chapter:

a kiss, a car wash, and a pair of shorty-shorts.

Go figure.