Unforgivable

Hi again! This is chapter 10! So...please read on! :)

---

Jade's POV:

My eyes are definitely not lying. Though I might have met her only once, during the banquet for General Wales, I have certainly remembered her face that upholds the aura of the imperial family, yet at the same time veils up sorrow. In the face of someone belonging to the imperial family, sorrow....shouldn't have existed. Why does it still exist then?

In her eyes, feat are deeply-rooted, as it gleams with wetness. Behind her, her lady-in-waiting grits her teeth, both are trembling uncontrollably. This is a sin worthy of death, or at least house arrest, just like Crown Prince. I know, for once, that she risks everything, just to come to the memorial. But, what for?

Then it strikes me, that she is the official wife of the late Emperor. No doubt, she comes for him.

"You! What are you doing there?!" Another servant rises her voice at me, her voice clearly carries annoyance.

"No, nothing. I just, feel a little dizzy. Today is hot."

---

Author'a POV:

"You say.... That was Crown Prince's new servant? Jade?" She whispers, while gripping her silk shawl so tight that wrinkles are starting to form.

"Yes, Your Highness."

Empress Dowager is well aware of the two factions formed within the harem and court. One sides with the Empress, struggling to make Crown Prince the next Emperor while the other sides with Consort Shine, eager to witness the downfall of Crown Prince and the rise of Third Prince. The days she's spent praying for the peace of the imperial family in her palace's altar could have been all in vain. However, she knew, ironically, that she's the main cause of the factionalised harem.

Consort Shine is born of the Shine noble family, a family that's served the imperial family for generations ever since the founding of the dynasty and has gained way too much power for the empire's good. Empress was born of the Harv family, a noble family much more inferior to the Shines. Having a powerhouse in the empire would pose a great threat to the possibilities of scandals to overthrow the Emperor. Thus she introduced Milea Harv and coronated her to be the Empress, limiting the Shines' power, though in the end it results in the harem now being in much more chaos.

"Ava, find her. I need to talk to her."

---

Jade's POV:

"Greetings, Your Highness Empress Dowager." My heart has been racing uncontrollably. There's no reason why the Empress Dowager would ask for me...unless she wants to discuss about me witnessing her violating the palace rules of Emperors' memorial.

"You may rise, my child." My child, she said.

"Have a seat." The politeness from a woman with highest status under the heaven has me put on my guard. Again, she smiles, as if reassuring me that no danger would befall me. Though with much hesitation, I give in and sit uncomfortably on the wooden chair, keeping my head down.

"You may be asking yourself as to why, I called you. Perhaps, it is best if I tell you first. I want to confide in you." Confide in me? An Empress Dowager, wants to confide in me, this little lowly servant? I must be dreaming.

"I could've been put under house arrest, or worse, executed if you made a scene when you saw me at the Late Emperor's memorial." I choose to remain silent, for I find no need to reply to this.

"I have a request to make to you."

"...." Again, I could only peek at her, like a kitten before a lion.