The Raven Girl - chapter 42

Fate took strange twists and turns that I couldn’t always predict. In my mind I thought the dragon was talking of some sort of physical feat that I had to perform alone. I had no idea that this task would be a test of mental endurance and I had never anticipated it being so cruel. Dante stared at me just every other vampire in the castle, his eyes focused disapprovingly on my huge pair of coal wings. Henry was pushing me out the door, but my feet didn’t want to move. My whole body wanted to shut down. Eventually Henry called the guards to help and together they took me out the room. The doors shut and I was dumped outside in the corridor. I slunk to the floor in a heap too exhausted cry. Henry then stepped out of the room and crouched down beside me.

“He remembers everything except you and all other memories associated with you. The doctors do not understand it, nor can they predict how long it will last.” Henry said.

“There has to be some magic or potion or cure that can fix this.”

“I’m sorry Ebony, only time can cure this.”

“Oh god.” I whispered hopelessly.

Henry put his arm around me and pulled me close and for a few moments we sat together on the floor. Miserable in unison. A guard interrupted us, he looked nervously at me then at Henry and lowered his head as he explained,

“The Prince is demanding to examine the curiosity.”

‘Curiosity’- that what I was to him. Henry shook his head but the guard apologetically sighed and said,

“I cannot disobey the King’s orders.”

I stood up and walked towards the door, Henry grabbed my wrist pulling me back-

“Please, Ebony, that Dante is the old Dante, the man you ran away from. Do not go in there.”

“I have too. This is how I must atone for the consequenes of my bad descisions.” I said softly.

Henry let go of my arm and allowed me to re-enter the room. Dante, feeling much better was getting dressed. He moved lazily across the room in black pants examining the shirts the servants had laid out for his inspection. I walked into the middle of the room and waited for his attention. My heart was like lead lump in my chest. Dante’s green eyes flashed in my direction and he sighed,

“What is a little raven doing so far from the woodlands?”

“It’s a long story.” I replied.

“Really? Is it an entertaining story?”

“Not particularly.”

“Then it’s a boring story and I can’t stand boredom. Let me look at you crow…I mean raven.”

I stepped forward and Dante began to circle me slowly. He reached out and prodded my wings then painfully yanked a feather from my right wing. I yelped in pain but Dante didn’t care, instead he waved a dismissive hand and said,

“Stop being a baby.”

I felt blood dripping down my back and a slow shooting pain as another feather regrew. Dante watched my regeneration in curious awe then yanked another feather from the left wing. Again blood dripped down and the painfully another feather regrew. Dante rolled one of the feathers between his finger and thumb deep in thought.

“Perhaps a closer surgical examination is required?” He muttered to himself.

My blood in my veins went ice cold as he waved at the guards to seize me. The guards grabbed me roughly but Henry quickly intervened.

“Your highness, you know the doctors mentioned that your memory was lacking in some areas.”

“I feel fine Henry.” Dante snapped.

“Well this is the area they were referring to.” Henry said pointing at me.

“Who is she?” Dante replied.

“Your wife.” Henry said.