VII: An Old Friend

The next few days I spent marveling at the beauty of Rivendell. The Elvish city practically glimmered, like the sunlight was radiating from the rooftops.

Frodo still hadn't awoken. I found myself thinking dark thoughts every now bad again, like Frodo was lost to the Nazgûl.

Each time I shrugged them off, but darkness lingered in the back of my mind for quite a long time.

Anyway, I was walking around with Merry one day, when he stopped abruptly. He stuck his hand out and stopped me too.

I looked the way he was looking and my eyes widened.

Sitting on a bench, reading some sort of book, was my old girlfriend: Lily Proudfoot.

I blinked a few times. Yes, it was her. What was she doing here? Then I remembered.

---------------four years ago--------------

It was four years ago. Lily and I had been walking together through the Shire when someone nimbly ran over to us.

He towered over us and golden hair fell down to his waist, braided in the back.

He bowed his head to us, or, more to Lily. I clenched my teeth angrily.

"Come on Lily," I muttered, but the Elf stopped us.

"I have something for Miss Proudfoot." He said. He handed Lily a letter in a faded pink envelope. My free hand balled into a fist.

The Elf looked down at me and I thought I saw smugness in his face. Maybe it was just me overreacting, but I was mad. I was barely repressing my anger.

He looked at Lily again and ran off.

"Good riddance." I said.

To my dismay, Lily opened the letter. At first she was half smiling. Then she frowned.

"Oh Pippin," she started.

"Lily, come on," I said again.

"Pippin, she looked up at me. "I-I have to go."

"What?" I asked, shocked.

"Pippin, I'm sorry, it's-I have to go now. Remember Pippin, I love you. I-I'm sorry; goodbye." With that she ran off back through the marketplace and towards her house.

"Where are you going?" My voice cracked.

"R-Rivendell!" She cried back and disappeared in the crowd of hobbits. Rivendell. The city of Elves. I collapsed to the ground and sobbed.

------------------present time------------

I stared at her. She was reading her book, unaware of Merry or me. Her brown curls fell around her shoulders and the sunlight made it look like caramel.

I swallowed. Merry pushed me forward and I glared at him. However, I sat down next to Lily.

"Um, fancy meeting you here," I mumbled.

Lily looked up at me. Her eyes widened. "Pippin!" She shrieked and tackled me in a huge hug.

I halfheartedly hugged her back.

"Pip, what's wrong?" She asked.

What's wrong? I thought sarcastically. What's wrong?! You left me for some stupid Elf that's what's wrong, honey muffin!!!

I sighed. "Why did you leave. I loved you Lily."

She cocked her head. "'Loved'?"

"You left to go chase after some Elf! How could you Lily?"

She gasped. "Pippin," she said. "My grandfather was ill!"

I was stunned. "Wha-what?!"

"That Elf came to tell me that my grandfather, Falco Proudfoot, had come down with an awful case of Typhoid fever." Lily continued. "I had to go to say-"

She stopped.

"Goodbye?" I finished.

She nodded. I thought she was going to start crying, but she swallowed hard and looked up at me with a half smile.

"I'm sorry," I said after a pause. I glanced over to where Merry should've been, but he was gone.

"Walk with me?" Lily asked.

I nodded, smiling, and took her hand. Then, we walked off together, just like four years ago.

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

Hello! I'm very sorry for the slow update, but my Wattpad app was acting really weird, like it deleted all of my books, and then I had nothing left, but then I updated the app and they came back.... I don't know, but I got back to writing as fast as possible.

I would like 7 comments and 5 votes before I update the next chapter. Thank you!