Chapter 6

IT WAS THURSDAY EVENING AND I HAD JUST SHOWED UP AT ANA'S HOUSE. Though our original plans were to hang out right after school, my mom had needed me to babysit my younger siblings for a couple hours, since my older brother, Jackson, was at a football game, and mom would be quite late from her part-time job today. Dad had drove me over after dinner.

We were actually going to have a sleepover. I was actually very surprised my parents had said yes-it was a school night-but we had told our parents that we had homework to finish together, and rehearsing to do for our drama auditions tomorrow. No later than 11:00 for lights out, my dad had reminded me. I didn't understand why my parents were such sticklers for sleep, but I agreed; I did like my sleep, although you could say on a sleepover, I was more interested in having fun with my friend. It'd be really nice to hang out with Ana for a night, even thought we had an early-to-bed time. Besides, sleeping over at all on a school night was a fun privilege that wasn't usual as permissible in my family.

"Hello Hannah!" Ana said smiling.

"Welcome Hannah! how are you?" asked her mom, with a strong French accent. I always loved to see Mrs. Hart. She was a thin, short woman, who was the exact grown version of her daughter. She was very welcoming and kind, always.

"Hello Ana and Mrs. Hart! I am doing well, thanks. Thank you for having me over!" I said, excitedly.

"It's our pleasure, Hannah. I suppose you girls will want to do homework? Maybe in Ana's room?" inquired Mrs. Hart.

"Yes," me and Ana said together and laughed.

Settling on her comfy carpeted floor upstairs, I said, "you wont guess, Ana. I have a really big surprise for you."

"Oh, what is it?" She asked, with a big grin. "You have a mysterious twinkle in your eyes."

I laughed and cleared my throat.

"Salut Ana! Comment sont vous? J'ai plupart faire bien. Ecole a ete assui bon aujourd hui."

As I exchanged this greeting to Ana, her face lit up in happy surprise.

She returned the greeting "Oui, Ecole a ete bon! How did you learn that?" she asked.

In French 1! We are going over introductions, and I thought I would save that to when I see you."

"Oh, Merci!" she said in a tone of great appreciation.

"So, what do we have in homework tonight? We should get that and drama practice done first, right?" I asked.

"Oui! If you don't mind me saying yes in French," she added.

"Course not! Anytime! It's good practice for me in French class, and I really enjoy speaking the language so far. And, hey, did you hear that there is French Club at school? I didn't notice in homeroom on Monday, but that's one of our newest clubs!"

"That would be so cool! I'd love to join, if I have enough time along with drama and ballet," she said, her excitement so obvious I could almost see it growing inside her.

"I know! I want to join art club, be in drama, but French club...I'd love to do! I know we'd have a great time doing it," I said, pulling out our algebra textbook.

"Oui! Let's study, so we can do fun stuff later. Maybe watch our favorite movies?" she asked.

"Oui!" I responded enthusiastically.

We had to study biology and memorize terms, algebra problems, and our history essay questions. As we studied together, giggling and having fun girlie time, I silently thanked God for sending Ana as my friend. Without her, at Thomas Edison, I would be all alone.

Later on, after scratching our heads at a couple math problems and working on figuring them out, we were finished. Ana's mom came in with some treats, and we nibbled at cookies and drank hot chocolate as we discussed how nervous we were for tomorrow's auditions for the school play.

"I won't expecting to be cast, but it would amazing. I can't wait, although my knees will be knocking together as I do it," I said, just remembering how nervous I really was. After a pause, I asked, "how is French class?"

"Most of the French class still does not like me." Ana paused, nibbling at her cookie. "And- I found a note on my locker yesterday-"

"Why didn't you tell me?!" I exclaimed. "You know I am there for you always Ana!"

"I didn't want to worry you, and I thought it'd be better to keep to myself."

"You should never keep something like that from a friend. Did you tell your mom? What did the note say?"

No, I don't want to worry her or Papa. It said- foreigner, foreigner, here in our school, why'd you come? You appartiennent back from where you came, there's no where you appartienn ent here. Tears started to form in her eyes. "Appartiennent in French means belong," she added, choking up.

"Ana!" I hugged her, and she sobbed softly on my shoulder. "I am sorry to cause you trouble by telling you this-" she began to say tearfully.

"Ana! You need to tell me this! Don't ever keep it from me! I am your best friend."

"You are? I knew we were good friends, but it thought Molly and Riley were your best friends."

"Just because they're great friends of mine doesn't mean you can't be too! Do you know who is doing it? Who wrote the note?"

"No," she said choking.

Quietly, I hugged her and let her cry it out. I was very upset inside. Why would someone be so mean to kind Ana?

As she dried her tears, I promised her that I would always be there for her and she promised the same for me. "We're going to stop this bullying Ana," I said firmly.

"Let's pray, please?" she asked. "Of course!" I responded. We held hands and prayed to God for help and to stop the mean kids who were doing this. Dear Lord, please help Ana. And may the students or whoever is doing this please, please stop, I prayed.

.......................................................................................................................................................

That's all for this chapter! I hope you enjoyed it, please comment and let me know how you like it. Sorry I haven't updated in awhile!