Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Bess was alone when they arrived to her office. She glanced up for the smallest of seconds from her computer screen to greet them. When her blue-green eyes landed on Ethan, that split second lasted much longer. There was history between the two, Caleb noted, and whatever it was, was complicated.

Bess stood from behind her polished wood desk. “What am I missing now?” her tone of voice stayed in control, it was the wariness in her expression that gave away her hesitance to know the answer of the question.

Evangeline spoke up. “With a demon problem, we need help from someone who knows more about them than we do. Apparently Ethan here owes Caleb a favor.”

Bess allowed herself a long sigh before slipping back into that perfected boss persona of blank looks and hard stares. “Thomas is back on his way in. Jake, if you’re done here I need you on the field with Chase.”

Jake silently turned to his alpha to seek out his permission. “Go ahead.” Caleb felt confident in the deal he and Ethan struck. Ethan was a man of his word, and wouldn’t try to stab him in the back just because an opportunity presented itself. Only vampires were so conniving.

Evangeline waited until Jake made his exit to ask, “Rebecca hasn’t arrived yet?” It was the first time since this ordeal began days ago, that she looked anxious to finally get her memories back.

“She’s here and clearing up another matter for Thomas until he gets here. What happened since we last spoke?”

“We came up with a plan.” Evangeline walked over to the guest seats positioned in front of the desk, folding her body in one of them. “If Rebecca can get me back my memories that’ll be great. We’ll take what I knew before and what we’ve figured out now, and go after the witch and her demonic partner with Ethan’s help.”

“And if you don’t get your memory back?” Bess inquired, playing devil’s advocate.

“We’ll still go after the witch either way and then she’ll reverse the spell.” A tight fury laced her simple words. As the days progressed, the need to find the witch became something personal and less about the job she swore to uphold weeks ago.

Caleb watched her from his spot against the wall. He knew he was going to have to keep an eye on her before she did something she’d regret. It was easy to feed into darkness when you were angry. Evangeline would come to regret killing the witch when all the dust settled, it was something Caleb didn’t want her to have to live with.

Bess shared the same worries and exchanged a look with Caleb that spoke volumes of her concern. “Can I talk to you alone for a moment outside?”

The alpha had no objections and followed her out into the narrow hallway. Bess was a woman used to working with and around supernatural creatures with superior hearing. She took several long steps away from the office before uttering a word. “I want you to stay onboard until this case is officially closed. Evie could use the extra back up and there’s no one more invested in her safety than you.”

Caleb was glad to hear that. “She might disagree with that when her memories return.”

“That’s why I’m talking to you now. If you’re assisting the SCF she won’t have a say in you sticking around. You’d be her partner for the duration of the case.” Bess didn’t leave any base uncovered.

“You have a deal.”

With a curt nod, and nothing else to say, Bess turned back for her office. Coming up the other end of the hall was Thomas with a blonde woman at his side. Caleb assumed she must be Rebecca Kayden.