Ch 5

It's official: i hate vents.

I had been crawling around in the cobweb-infested structure for at least half an hour now. Looking down i catch sight of something pancaked on the ground, a spider. I swear i saw that exact same squished spider before, many, many times.

I raise my head slightly only to bang it on the top of the vents once again. I rub the top of my head carefully, wincing when i feel the continuously growing bump. That's when i start to hear it.

No, not your typical piano solo. No, not your stereotypical scream. No, not your average ghost wailing. Those would be expected things, something i could cope with. What happens instead? A flute's call echos in the vents, mixed with a piano and some sort of string instrument's wail.

I stop crawling, giving the song my undivided attention, curious as to why it sounded like a rain storm was fighting to be heard over the music. Tilting my head to the right slightly, i strain my ears to hear the faint sound, it becoming quieter and quieter with each passing second.

Slowly, i start to crawl to the source, hesitantly raising my right arm and left leg, then left arm and right leg. I feel my mouth drop slightly, wondering how such a beautiful song was being played in such a... not beautiful house/shack.

Turning to the right i finally see a source of light popping up from the floor a few meters ahead of me. Another vent exit.  

It took a bunch of resistance to not jump up and run over to the vent, then stomp on the opening until it collapsed. Instead, i shimmied even slower over to the exit, and when approaching it, i dug my long pinkie nail into the screws' wedges and twisted it until it was loose enough for my hands to finish the job. 

Ignoring my now horrid nails i slipped my fingers under the metal and slowly lifted it up, placing it ahead of me. I drop my legs through the gap and slid over to the edge, placing my hands on either side of my body. Taking a deep breath i hoist myself up, counting down from 5 before i would drop.

When it came time for me to drop, it felt like i was falling for 2 hours, but was really only 5 seconds. I hit the ground with loud 'THUD' and could've sworn i heard some sort of crack come from my back, like when you crack your knuckles. 

Hesitantly standing i rub my bottom, wincing when the tips of my fingers come in contact with a growing bruise on the bottom of my back.

"It's nice of you to finally join me, Hanna."

I stop all movement at the sound of his deep voice. My eyes are pried open, the center of them twitching from left to right slightly. I don't ever recall telling him my name, then again, he always did have his ways. Only then do i realize where i am, resisting to face-palm at my oh-so-good luck;

His study.

In front of my body was the door, it's top left edge filled with a spider's art, the artist itself hanging down from it. To the left and right of the door stood 2 small tables, nightstands, holding dozens of papers as the closed shelves release edges of some of the many papers. 

The left wall holds 2 book shelves, filled with books who's spins contain emptiness. The right wall holds a mirror, and pictures. Many pictures. All black and white, holding the faces of terrified victims, and along the center of them all was a row of group photos. I was in 3 of them. One for each month. 

Biting my bottom lip i ease my eyes closed, curling my hands into fists and i spin quickly around on one foot, opening my eyes instantly to come in contact with the deep green ones i've come to hate. Only there's a little change in this person's features. The mask i know so well is missing, revealing his nose, mouth, cheeks and hair. His ears are hidden from his forearms that support his folded hands, being at such an angle i can only catch the edge of his mouth and tip of his nose. 

A low chuckle comes from him, a sort of sound i thought he was incapable of creating. I resist the urge to step closer to him, wondering why he was suddenly so comfortable around me. He always had his guard up, ready to pounce at the first sign of disobedience. 

"I take it you had fun in the vents, hm? You sure didn't seem to care about the fact you sounded like a hurricane in a library. Only a fool wouldn't realize 'twas you in them."

I only gape at him, i wasn't that loud! He was the one playing the music that was like playing screamo in church! Come to think of it, the melodic song had ceased. 

He raises an eyebrow in my direction, almost as if he had heard my thoughts. My hand flies up to my mouth to cover it, realizing i had indeed spoken my thoughts.

Shaking his head, he stands, his tall figure towering over mine even at the distance between us. He folds his hands behind his back and slowly strides over to myself, a small smirk playing on his lips. I wish i could just smack that grin off his face, but i'd never have enough confidence to do so. 

He slowly walks over to my right, disappearing behind me. I can tell he's close though, his body heat radiating off him and enveloping my own body structure. I feel his breath tickle as he leans towards my ear, his smirk most likely still there.

"You know, i thought you'd be the first to escape."

I roll my eyes at this, "Bull,"

I can hear the amusement in his voice as he speaks "Hm? Do you honestly have so little confidence in yourself that you'd think you'd share the same fate as my past countless victims? You were stupid enough to fall into my trap like the rest of them, i didn't even have to chase you like some."

My anger returns at his words, my face growing hot as i realize he was right, much to my dismay. Stupid man was too smart for his own good.

"It's kind of hard to escape when you were just simply seeking help and them pulled into what you think is a shack!" I sneer, "And just as a bonus, your fear is at a height so grand you forget your own god damn name for a moment. Don't you agree?"

"Are you implying you wish to know my true name?"

What? Where had that come from?! I surprise both myself and him at my next words. "Try me."

His body returns into my sight again, a small frown replacing his previous smirk. "Riley, Riley Jacobs." 

My mouth drops at his reply. I should've realized sooner... His eyes, i had always known they seemed familiar. How he knew my name without having to ask. The way he would always ignore me as if i were nothing. How he had only taken an interest in me tonight.

I couldn't believe it.

I was staring into the eyes of my grade 8 crush.